Homeless woman charged with Waukesha burglary
Complaint: Woman, 54, broke into brother's apartment
A 54-year-old homeless woman was charged last week with breaking into her brother's apartment in northwest Waukesha.
Nancy A. Lassack was charged May 1 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with burglary, criminal trespassing and misdemeanor retail theft.
According to the criminal complaint, a loss prevention employee for the Kohl's Department Store on Moreland Boulevard told a detective that Lassack was caught on video surveillance stealing about $90 worth of clothing on April 12.
He said she fled after he confronted her, but he was able to provide the detective a license plate number for her vehicle.
On April 30, officers were dispatched to an apartment at 1700 Elder Street regarding a burglary. Lassack's brother, James Schulz, told officers that he caught his sister trying to break into his apartment.
Lassack fled before police arrived, but her vehicle was stopped by a patrolling officer and she was arrested.
Lassack told police in the complaint that she used to live with her brother and claimed she had only returned to bathe. Schulz said he believed she was there to steal something to feed her heroin addiction.
Lassack faces 14 years in prison and $45,000 in fines if convicted.
According to court records, she is currently being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $5,000 cash bond.
She is next expected in court on Monday, May 12.
- 2016 Waukesha County Fair coverage
- Our Fair Ladies Blog: Video: Crafting and animal races at the Waukesha County Fair
- Outstanding fees could prevent students from graduation ceremonies
- Studio time gives students opportunity to create
- Stay cool at Hebron House and Jeremy Safe Haven
- Waukesha Salvation Army offering cool place to stay in light of impending heat wave
- Crest owner brings Irish flavor to new venture in downtown Waukesha
- Funeral Services: July 21, 2016 issue
- Complaint: Waukesha woman, drunk, grabbed gun following phone dispute
- Waukesha police report: July 21, 2016 issue