Waukesha School Board holds off on renaming Central Middle School
Variations of Les Paul Middle School being discussed
It’s not fully back to the drawing board in the process to rename Central Middle School.
But changing the middle school’s name to possibly Les Paul Middle School will have to wait another day after the Waukesha School Board Wednesday night tabled renaming the school.
The renaming process will return to committee level to be further discussed.
The Finance and Facilities Committee, at its Monday meeting, had recommended changing Central’s name to Les Paul Middle School.
But on Wednesday concerns were raised and the discussion turned to keeping “Central” in the school’s name.
With the board now weighing the names “Les Paul Middle School,” “Les Paul Central Middle School” and “Les Paul Middle School - Central Campus” it decided to hold off on a decision.
A request to change the school’s name was first brought to the school district from the Les Paul Foundation.
Over the last few months, committees that were spearheaded by Superintendent Todd Gray and Central Middle School Principal Rob Bennett, met with staff and community members on changing the school’s name. The recommendation was to change the school's name to Les Paul Middle School.
Les Paul, who was born and is buried in Waukesha, was nicknamed “The Wizard of Waukesha” for his work as a famous inventor and musician.
He’s also the only person inducted into both the National Inventors Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
The Les Paul Foundation has agreed to cover 100 percent of the costs that would come with changing a school’s name.
Sue Baker, the program director of the foundation, will also check with the foundation on whether keeping some form of "Central" in the name would be OK with them.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Top five picks for this weekend in Waukesha
- Waukesha County detective Peter Korns charged for domestic-related incident
- 'Suspicious' Halloween decoration turns out to be mannequin in a tree
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly manufacturing, selling cocaine
- Waukesha man accused of molesting, groping his granddaughter for years
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Apple harvest, lawn care and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Waukesha wants judge to reverse ruling on former fire chief's job
- Waukesha asks public for help to fund new downtown holiday lights
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case