The Waukesha Allied Veterans Council will host Memorial Day events on Monday, May 26, including a service and parade.
This year's observance begins at 9 a.m., with a service in front of the Lee Sherman Dreyfus State Office Building, 41 N.W. Barstow St. The service will be led by the ladies auxiliary from The American Legion, D.J. Martin Post No. 8. Chaplains from the auxiliaries will give Memorial Day prayers.
In addition to the massing of colors, the service will include casting flowers on the water, a rifle salute and the playing of taps.
Following the 15-minute service, the lineup for the parade will begin on Baxter Street near the Schuetze Building in Frame Park.
The parade will start at 10:15 a.m. and proceed down Baxter to Buckley Street, then turning left before heading onto West Main Street. The parade then goes from West Main Street to Maple Avenue, turns left and heads south on Maple to Cutler Park.
A program to honor veterans begins at 11 a.m. at Cutler Park's Les Paul Performance Center.
Members of the U.S. Marines will also host a flag ceremony at 11:45 a.m. at the Prairie Home Cemetery's chapel, 605 S. Prairie Ave. The cemetery's Avenue of Flags will also be featured from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Steinhafels distribution center expansion on horizon
- News briefs: New degree path at UW-Waukesha
- Coolidge Avenue apartment owners sue the City of Waukesha
- Funeral Services: Nov. 27, 2014
- Waukesha Business Briefs: Health center lauded, Shorewest honored, more
- Waukesha's Kmart redevelopment could give East Sunset Drive a commercial boost
- Waukesha adjusts timeline for Great Lakes water, won't meet radium-compliance deadline
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Despite concerns, Waukesha Downtown Business Association will continue to lead farmers market
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS events, holiday events and more