The Waukesha Allied Veterans Council will host Memorial Day events on Monday, May 26, including a service and parade.
This year's observance begins at 9 a.m., with a service in front of the Lee Sherman Dreyfus State Office Building, 41 N.W. Barstow St. The service will be led by the ladies auxiliary from The American Legion, D.J. Martin Post No. 8. Chaplains from the auxiliaries will give Memorial Day prayers.
In addition to the massing of colors, the service will include casting flowers on the water, a rifle salute and the playing of taps.
Following the 15-minute service, the lineup for the parade will begin on Baxter Street near the Schuetze Building in Frame Park.
The parade will start at 10:15 a.m. and proceed down Baxter to Buckley Street, then turning left before heading onto West Main Street. The parade then goes from West Main Street to Maple Avenue, turns left and heads south on Maple to Cutler Park.
A program to honor veterans begins at 11 a.m. at Cutler Park's Les Paul Performance Center.
Members of the U.S. Marines will also host a flag ceremony at 11:45 a.m. at the Prairie Home Cemetery's chapel, 605 S. Prairie Ave. The cemetery's Avenue of Flags will also be featured from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Blood drive, walk to fight human trafficking, and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 28, 2015 issue
- Village of Brookfield proposal draws out divergent opinions, pro and con, at hearing
- Waukesha stays on the road to updated construction this summer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Local author's novel introduction, lantern walk and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Memorial Day recognition includes parade in Waukesha
- One year later, no resolution in Waukesha Slender Man case
- City officials hope new directional signs to downtown assists in revitalization effort
- Waukesha man charged after exposing genitals to gas station clerk