The Waukesha Allied Veterans Council will host Memorial Day events on Monday, May 26, including a service and parade.
This year's observance begins at 9 a.m., with a service in front of the Lee Sherman Dreyfus State Office Building, 41 N.W. Barstow St. The service will be led by the ladies auxiliary from The American Legion, D.J. Martin Post No. 8. Chaplains from the auxiliaries will give Memorial Day prayers.
In addition to the massing of colors, the service will include casting flowers on the water, a rifle salute and the playing of taps.
Following the 15-minute service, the lineup for the parade will begin on Baxter Street near the Schuetze Building in Frame Park.
The parade will start at 10:15 a.m. and proceed down Baxter to Buckley Street, then turning left before heading onto West Main Street. The parade then goes from West Main Street to Maple Avenue, turns left and heads south on Maple to Cutler Park.
A program to honor veterans begins at 11 a.m. at Cutler Park's Les Paul Performance Center.
Members of the U.S. Marines will also host a flag ceremony at 11:45 a.m. at the Prairie Home Cemetery's chapel, 605 S. Prairie Ave. The cemetery's Avenue of Flags will also be featured from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel reflects on first months in new office
- Opper makes history with her new position
- Fox Head Residences apartment plan in Waukesha finished after rezoning vote again denied
- Mukwonago man killed in forklift accident
- Waukesha man is winner of $1 million Mega Millions prize
- Suspects from Hartland, Oconomowoc charged for their alleged roles in robbery of Waukesha bank
- Sprizzo Gallery Caffé closes in downtown Waukesha
- Senior housing now part of plan for Fox Head Residences in Waukesha
- Waukesha Community Briefs: UW-W drama, Gaelic library events and more
- Waukesha Police Report: March 5, 2015 issue