This week's storm that brought heavy winds and rain through the region made its impact felt in Waukesha.
The city was littered with tree branches, large and small, and power outages were widespread, including at the Shoppes at Fox River and numerous traffic signals along busy roads, by the time the storm passed late Monday, June 30.
At the Shoppes, located off Sunset Drive, the parking lot and buildings were mostly dark, except for Pick 'n Save and Target, into Tuesday morning. Near downtown, the Waukesha YMCA sent out an email announcing it was closed Tuesday due to power outages.
As of Tuesday afternoon, We Energies spokeswoman Jessica Williamson said there were still about 4,100 customers without power. She said power for more than 4,200 customers had been restored.
Williamson said she had hoped to have all the power restored in Waukesha by 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 2.
"We're hoping Mother Nature cooperates with us," Williamson said.
The clean-up was so extensive that crews from the Fox Valley were called down to the Waukesha-Milwaukee area to assist.
"This was a huge outage for us," Williamson said. "We have a lot of boots on the pavement. There was extensive damage to our electrical network. And there was so much tree debris that electrical poles snapped wires down."
In some cases, she said, We Energies crews have had to rebuild new equipment.
Here's a photo gallery of the destruction that the storm left behind throughout Waukesha County.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub in downtown Waukesha reopening today
- Habitat for Humanity of Waukesha County opening ReStore in Waukesha
- Gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood, but causes no serious problems
- Man accused of choking woman over Facebook post
- Major gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood
- Waukesha man accused of choking ex-girlfriend over Facebook post
- Carroll student director's effort deals with no small Peanuts in Waukesha play
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub still closed for 'restaffing' in downtown Waukesha