This week's storm that brought heavy winds and rain through the region made its impact felt in Waukesha.
The city was littered with tree branches, large and small, and power outages were widespread, including at the Shoppes at Fox River and numerous traffic signals along busy roads, by the time the storm passed late Monday, June 30.
At the Shoppes, located off Sunset Drive, the parking lot and buildings were mostly dark, except for Pick 'n Save and Target, into Tuesday morning. Near downtown, the Waukesha YMCA sent out an email announcing it was closed Tuesday due to power outages.
As of Tuesday afternoon, We Energies spokeswoman Jessica Williamson said there were still about 4,100 customers without power. She said power for more than 4,200 customers had been restored.
Williamson said she had hoped to have all the power restored in Waukesha by 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 2.
"We're hoping Mother Nature cooperates with us," Williamson said.
The clean-up was so extensive that crews from the Fox Valley were called down to the Waukesha-Milwaukee area to assist.
"This was a huge outage for us," Williamson said. "We have a lot of boots on the pavement. There was extensive damage to our electrical network. And there was so much tree debris that electrical poles snapped wires down."
In some cases, she said, We Energies crews have had to rebuild new equipment.
Here's a photo gallery of the destruction that the storm left behind throughout Waukesha County.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Power outages cause rush hour backups in Waukesha
- Chilly temps in store for trick-or-treating, haunted houses, football games in Waukesha
- Muskego man charged with sexually assaulting 12-year-old Waukesha girl
- Former Waukesha County Health and Human Services building has new life
- Shared employee health clinic opening next week in Waukesha
- Funeral Services: Oct. 30, 2014
- Student Notes: Oct. 30, 2014
- On the Move: Oct. 30, 2014
- Man robs victim of iPhone near Waukesha's Fox River Trail
- Waukesha woman allegedly abused, insulted her disabled mother