A 30-year-old Waukesha woman stands accused of repeatedly kicking, punching and swearing at her 8-year-old son on multiple occasions.
Waukesha Now will not name the woman to protect the identity of her child. She was charged Tuesday, July 8, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with one felony count of child abuse and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
If convicted, she could face more than six years in prison and $11,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha police responded to a call about domestic abuse on Sunday, July 6. The woman and her son were shouting at one another on a second-floor balcony at an apartment complex.
The woman told police her son suffers from Asperger's syndrome, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and an anxiety disorder so he needs to be restrained sometimes, but when the woman's father arrived on the scene he offered a different story.
According to the complaint, the woman's father said that his daughter had hit, kicked and screamed profanity at her son on several occasions in the past. Officers spoke to the child, who admitted his mother "kicked him all over," the complaint said.
The woman allegedly told police that she's an alcoholic who needed to "get back on track," and who was also experiencing ongoing problems in her personal life.
Her father said in the complaint that he and his wife had been taking care of the boy for some time, and that during one 12-week stretch when the boy was receiving treatment for some of his cognitive disabilities the woman only visited her son once.
Her initial court appearance is scheduled for Monday, July 21.
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Night Out info, food drive and more
- Now You Know: Where were Waukesha's movie theaters?
- New Latin American restaurant Arepanitas opens near downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha newspaper website is changing