A 59-year-old Waukesha man allegedly downloaded several illegal pornographic videos of children because he had a "morbid curiosity" about them.
Michael Harpe, 3015 Minot Lane, was charged on Wednesday, Aug. 13, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with ten felony counts of child porn possession.
Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison and $100,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha police served a search warrant on Harpe's residence on Tuesday, Aug. 11, and found numerous child porn videos on Harpe's external hard drive and cell phone.
There were two more videos on the phone, reportedly shot by Harpe, showing Harpe's 14-year-old niece walking around a hot tub, seemingly unaware that she was being recorded.
Harpe said in the complaint that he believes adults engage in sexual activity with children because adults can control children and "brainwash them."
He also said that he loved to watch "pretty, young girls," and that he preferred the girls that were 6 to 9 years old, according to the complaint.
Harpe was ordered to be held at the county jail on a $100,000 cash bond.
His next court hearing is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 22.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon will serve soups, pies at Hartwell Avenue location in Waukesha
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub closed in downtown Waukesha
- Gunshots hit vehicles in parking lot on North University Drive in Waukesha
- Rollout of new garbage, recycling carts underway in city of Waukesha
- Waukesha woman sues the city's housing authority over lost rent assistance
- Fox Head Residences developer asks to postpone action on Waukesha apartments
- Nearby Citgo gas station closes early in response to last week's fatal shooting in Waukesha
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Health care reform, peace nominees and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015, issue