City of Waukesha — A 44-year-old Waukesha man allegedly choked his ex-girlfriend after she wrote what he perceived to be an offensive post on Facebook.
Walter Beach, 417 N. Washington Ave., was charged on Friday, Aug. 22, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation, misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct — all repeat and domestic abuse offenses.
According to the criminal complaint, police responded on Wednesday, Aug. 20, to a South Street apartment complex regarding a call about a domestic incident.
Beach’s former girlfriend told an officer in the complaint that she and Beach had recently ended their seven-year relationship — because he had physically abused her in the past — but had remained friends.
She said that Beach regularly spent time with her, gave her money and took her shopping, but denied any desire on her part to rekindle their relationship, according to the complaint.
She claimed a Facebook post supposedly struck a raw nerve in Beach and that he confronted her about it.
Beach reportedly became more upset when he learned his ex-girlfriend had told his current girlfriend about his behavior. He warned her on Monday, Aug. 18, not to do so again and about the post, then showed up at her house later that day and demanded to know where the victim had been, the complaint says.
She said in the complaint that Beach barged into her apartment, wrapped his hands around her throat and squeezed her neck until she couldn’t breathe.
Court records indicate that Beach is currently being held at the county jail on a $2,500 cash bond.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 29.
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who groped teenage girl, threatened her to drop charges
- Getaway driver gets eight years in prison for role in Waukesha gas station homicide
- Waukesha Farmers Market set to kickoff 2016 season May 7
- Funeral Services: April 28, 2016 issue
- Longtime local criminal Julio Alvarez gets prison for robbing Waukesha gas station (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Healthy kids, Arbor Day and more
- Waukesha police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Waukesha West students learn global lessons up close on service trip
- Proposed strip mall, eatery could replace Gasthaus restaurant
- Proposed apartment project for Waukesha County Museum remains stalled