Town of Waukesha - Town Clerk Kathy Karalewitz said Thursday that she will certify petitions for a recall election of Town Chairman Robert Tallinger Sr. and Supervisor Stephen Smart and on Monday ask the Town Board to approve election dates.
A group calling itself Concerned Citizens of the Town of Waukesha organized the recall because the two voted in favor of a land division that could eventually lead to the City of Waukesha's drilling of shallow wells in the town, near the Vernon Marsh. More than 1,800 signatures were filed on petitions accusing the two of negligence in "protecting and promoting the Town of Waukesha's water supply."
A July 13 election is planned, Karalewitz said. Tallinger's and Smart's names will automatically be on the ballot, along with any other candidates who file nomination papers by 5 p.m. on June 15.
If three or more candidates, including the incumbents, are on the ballot, the July 13 election will serve as a primary election to narrow the candidates for each office to two. The general election would then be held Aug. 10.
Karalewitz said candidates can begin circulating nomination papers, which require from 20 to 100 signatures of eligible voters, on Friday.
The election winners, whether incumbents or challengers, will serve a term that ends next April. In the spring election, town voters will for the first time elect a chairman and four supervisors to staggered terms. The Town Board recently voted to expand the three-member board to five members. It is the last three-member town board in Waukesha County.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HAWS asking for public support to help seized chinchillas in Waukesha
- City of Waukesha recommending sober server ordinance
- Kwik Trip being proposed for city of Waukesha's northwest side
- Waukesha School Board candidates discuss Common Core, teacher compensation
- The Steaming Cup owners looking to sell downtown coffee shop
- Waukesha man charged for allegedly soliciting illegal sexual encounter
- Oconomowoc man allegedly caught in Waukesha store bathroom with heroin
- Waukesha bicycle shop Cyclesmith closes its doors
- Waukesha Community Briefs: 'Dead Man's Cell Phone,' 'Messiah' performance and more
- Waukesha Police Report: March 26, 2015 issue