Waukesha - Waukesha County Judge Richard Congdon - a governor's appointee who was defeated in his first election for the seat in April - has not applied for reappointment to another vacancy.
Thursday was the deadline for applicants seeking appointment by Gov. Jim Doyle for the circuit court judgeship being vacated by Judge Paul Reilly.
Reilly was elected to the appeals court and will take office in August.
The governor's office released the list of applicants for appointment to Reilly's seat as of 5 p.m. Thursday, though other applications postmarked Thursday may come in later, a spokesman said.
The applicants are:
Waukesha County assistant district attorneys Debra Blasius of Waukesha and Lloyd Carter of New Berlin; assistant attorney general for Wisconsin Joseph Ganzer of Pewaukee; attorney Jack Melvin of Oconomowoc with QBE Regional Insurance Co.; Milwaukee County assistant district attorney Elisabeth Mueller of Brookfield; and Kathleen Stilling of Brookfield, a private practice attorney with Buting & Williams.
The appointee will face election next spring.
Congdon was defeated by New Berlin state legislator Mark Gundrum, who will begin a six-year term as circuit court judge in August.
Congdon said he is ineligible for appointment as a reserve judge because he lacks tenure.
"I need a break," he said, explaining why he didn't seek the appointment. Having served as a lawyer and judge for 36 years, he said he may seek a job outside of law.
"I'm not foreclosing anything in the future, however," he said.
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who groped teenage girl, threatened her to drop charges
- Getaway driver gets eight years in prison for role in Waukesha gas station homicide
- Waukesha Farmers Market set to kickoff 2016 season May 7
- Funeral Services: April 28, 2016 issue
- Longtime local criminal Julio Alvarez gets prison for robbing Waukesha gas station (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Healthy kids, Arbor Day and more
- Waukesha police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Proposed strip mall, eatery could replace Gasthaus restaurant
- Proposed apartment project for Waukesha County Museum remains stalled
- Waukesha School District names new principals at four schools