Waukesha - Waukesha County Judge Richard Congdon - a governor's appointee who was defeated in his first election for the seat in April - has not applied for reappointment to another vacancy.
Thursday was the deadline for applicants seeking appointment by Gov. Jim Doyle for the circuit court judgeship being vacated by Judge Paul Reilly.
Reilly was elected to the appeals court and will take office in August.
The governor's office released the list of applicants for appointment to Reilly's seat as of 5 p.m. Thursday, though other applications postmarked Thursday may come in later, a spokesman said.
The applicants are:
Waukesha County assistant district attorneys Debra Blasius of Waukesha and Lloyd Carter of New Berlin; assistant attorney general for Wisconsin Joseph Ganzer of Pewaukee; attorney Jack Melvin of Oconomowoc with QBE Regional Insurance Co.; Milwaukee County assistant district attorney Elisabeth Mueller of Brookfield; and Kathleen Stilling of Brookfield, a private practice attorney with Buting & Williams.
The appointee will face election next spring.
Congdon was defeated by New Berlin state legislator Mark Gundrum, who will begin a six-year term as circuit court judge in August.
Congdon said he is ineligible for appointment as a reserve judge because he lacks tenure.
"I need a break," he said, explaining why he didn't seek the appointment. Having served as a lawyer and judge for 36 years, he said he may seek a job outside of law.
"I'm not foreclosing anything in the future, however," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance