Waukesha - Waukesha County Judge Richard Congdon - a governor's appointee who was defeated in his first election for the seat in April - has not applied for reappointment to another vacancy.
Thursday was the deadline for applicants seeking appointment by Gov. Jim Doyle for the circuit court judgeship being vacated by Judge Paul Reilly.
Reilly was elected to the appeals court and will take office in August.
The governor's office released the list of applicants for appointment to Reilly's seat as of 5 p.m. Thursday, though other applications postmarked Thursday may come in later, a spokesman said.
The applicants are:
Waukesha County assistant district attorneys Debra Blasius of Waukesha and Lloyd Carter of New Berlin; assistant attorney general for Wisconsin Joseph Ganzer of Pewaukee; attorney Jack Melvin of Oconomowoc with QBE Regional Insurance Co.; Milwaukee County assistant district attorney Elisabeth Mueller of Brookfield; and Kathleen Stilling of Brookfield, a private practice attorney with Buting & Williams.
The appointee will face election next spring.
Congdon was defeated by New Berlin state legislator Mark Gundrum, who will begin a six-year term as circuit court judge in August.
Congdon said he is ineligible for appointment as a reserve judge because he lacks tenure.
"I need a break," he said, explaining why he didn't seek the appointment. Having served as a lawyer and judge for 36 years, he said he may seek a job outside of law.
"I'm not foreclosing anything in the future, however," he said.
- Funeral services: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ex-Waukesha man accused of reckless homicide in heroin overdose death
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Lion King, gallery art and more
- Blair Innovation Flair creates challenges for all to share
- Construction won't stop Waukesha's annual Memorial Day festivities
- Waukesha police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Greats Lakes panel approves Waukesha water application with conditions
- Q&A with Jody Landish, Waukesha schools' new assistant superintendent
- Construction cuts into major roadways in Waukesha this year
- Man flown to hospital after attempted suicide in Waukesha