Waukesha - Waukesha County Judge Richard Congdon - a governor's appointee who was defeated in his first election for the seat in April - has not applied for reappointment to another vacancy.
Thursday was the deadline for applicants seeking appointment by Gov. Jim Doyle for the circuit court judgeship being vacated by Judge Paul Reilly.
Reilly was elected to the appeals court and will take office in August.
The governor's office released the list of applicants for appointment to Reilly's seat as of 5 p.m. Thursday, though other applications postmarked Thursday may come in later, a spokesman said.
The applicants are:
Waukesha County assistant district attorneys Debra Blasius of Waukesha and Lloyd Carter of New Berlin; assistant attorney general for Wisconsin Joseph Ganzer of Pewaukee; attorney Jack Melvin of Oconomowoc with QBE Regional Insurance Co.; Milwaukee County assistant district attorney Elisabeth Mueller of Brookfield; and Kathleen Stilling of Brookfield, a private practice attorney with Buting & Williams.
The appointee will face election next spring.
Congdon was defeated by New Berlin state legislator Mark Gundrum, who will begin a six-year term as circuit court judge in August.
Congdon said he is ineligible for appointment as a reserve judge because he lacks tenure.
"I need a break," he said, explaining why he didn't seek the appointment. Having served as a lawyer and judge for 36 years, he said he may seek a job outside of law.
"I'm not foreclosing anything in the future, however," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kicker's Pub & Grub owner flees from man with a gun after closing
- Cuddles shop in downtown Waukesha closing its doors
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas holding virtual Town Hall meeting on Twitter
- Storms do damage once again in Waukesha
- Driving lesson in Waukesha's Prairie Home Cemetery results in police call
- Ideal weather helps boost Waukesha County Fair attendance
- Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart
- Shoppes at Fox River gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- City of Waukesha will have new system for garbage, recycling pickup in 2015
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race