Park approved for River Hills neighborhood on city's southwest side
Carroll site approved for classrooms for start of construction of science center
The Plan Commission approved a certified survey map for the construction of a new neighborhood park in the River Hills neighborhood, east of Oakdale Drive and northwest of River Place Blvd. on the southwest side of the city.
“We’re very excited to see it approved and work together so we can put that park together,” said Alderman Aaron Perry, who lives in the neighborhood and represents constituents where the park would be built.
The parcel was previously owned by the School District of Waukesha but it sold the land to the city late last year for about $275,000.
City of Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department Mona Bauer, customer and administrative services manager, said the park will include input from the neighborhood and neighbors will assist in the construction of the playground along with staff.
“It creates a community because they have a vested interest in it,” said Bauer, adding the park could include a shelter and an athletic field.
Bauer said the city has done two neighborhood builds, including Davids Park along S. East Ave.
Extra space for Carroll
Meanwhile, the Plan Commission also approved a request from Carroll University that will allow the school to use temporary classroom space at 1111 Sentry Drive in a manufacturing zoning area while campus facilities are under construction.
The construction is for the university’s new science center, at the northeast corner of College Avenue and Barstow Street. The 50,000-square-foot center will replace Maxon Hall, which is expected to be torn down in December 2014.
The new science center is expected to open in summer 2016.
City Planner Jennifer Andrews said the building provides “flexibility” during construction for students and faculty.
“We’ve built some classroom space on existing facilities on campus but we need this kind of space during the next couple of years,” said Ron Lostetter, Carroll University’s vice president for finance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Composting workshop, blood drives and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 7, 2015 issue
- Waukesha man charged with threatening wife with two butcher knives
- Parents concerned about junior/senior prank wars in Waukesha
- Concerns raised by Waukesha residents prompt traffic study at proposed Kwik Trip
- New multifamily development being proposed for downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha County Airport $11 million upgrade finally takes flight
- Cause of scrap yard fire at Waukesha Iron and Metal will remain a mystery
- New downtown candle store will hold grand opening Saturday
- Waukesha Northstar Players presenting "The Crucible" this weekend