A head-on crash on Highway 18 (East Moreland Blvd.) on Thursday, May 8, injured two people, sending one man to the hospital with serious injuries.
According to police, a BMW was driving east in the westbound lanes of traffic on Moreland near Avalon Drive, Waukesha, at about 12:32 a.m. A semi tractor-trailer was westbound, and was attempting to stop when the BMW hit it head on.
Flight for Life took the 52-year-old driver of the BMW to Froedtert Hospital with a broken hip, numerous contusions and facial cuts. He is in stable condition. He admitted to drinking alcohol before the crash, and was cited for drunken driving, causing injury, according to police.
Rescue personnel treated the 68-year-old driver of the semi at the scene for minor injuries. Police noted that he was cooperative in the investigation and voluntarily submitted to a blood test; he is not thought to have been drinking.
Both vehicles were towed. The BMW was totaled. The semi tractor sustained moderate damage. The semi trailer was not carrying a load. Neither vehicle had any other passengers.
Intoxication is thought to be the biggest contributing factor in the crash, according to police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board approves resolution for staff to seek redevelopment proposals on former HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint
- Another wine bar could be coming to downtown Waukesha
- Darrin Malone, final suspect in Waukesha gas station homicide, arrested in Milwaukee