A head-on crash on Highway 18 (East Moreland Blvd.) on Thursday, May 8, injured two people, sending one man to the hospital with serious injuries.
According to police, a BMW was driving east in the westbound lanes of traffic on Moreland near Avalon Drive, Waukesha, at about 12:32 a.m. A semi tractor-trailer was westbound, and was attempting to stop when the BMW hit it head on.
Flight for Life took the 52-year-old driver of the BMW to Froedtert Hospital with a broken hip, numerous contusions and facial cuts. He is in stable condition. He admitted to drinking alcohol before the crash, and was cited for drunken driving, causing injury, according to police.
Rescue personnel treated the 68-year-old driver of the semi at the scene for minor injuries. Police noted that he was cooperative in the investigation and voluntarily submitted to a blood test; he is not thought to have been drinking.
Both vehicles were towed. The BMW was totaled. The semi tractor sustained moderate damage. The semi trailer was not carrying a load. Neither vehicle had any other passengers.
Intoxication is thought to be the biggest contributing factor in the crash, according to police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man rescued from Dunkin' Donuts Dumpster after falling in while looking for wife's dentures
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly assaulting 12-year-old boy
- Disgraced former Waukesha County sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Former sheriff's lieutenant gets jail time, probation
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, awards lunch, health clinics and more
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Waukesha man accused of delivering drugs that caused overdose death
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 2, 2014 issue
- Waukesha lists curbside pickup and drop-off center times for leaves
- Spooky, isn't it: Halloween season kicks in Waukesha with Wisconsin Feargrounds