A head-on crash on Highway 18 (East Moreland Blvd.) on Thursday, May 8, injured two people, sending one man to the hospital with serious injuries.
According to police, a BMW was driving east in the westbound lanes of traffic on Moreland near Avalon Drive, Waukesha, at about 12:32 a.m. A semi tractor-trailer was westbound, and was attempting to stop when the BMW hit it head on.
Flight for Life took the 52-year-old driver of the BMW to Froedtert Hospital with a broken hip, numerous contusions and facial cuts. He is in stable condition. He admitted to drinking alcohol before the crash, and was cited for drunken driving, causing injury, according to police.
Rescue personnel treated the 68-year-old driver of the semi at the scene for minor injuries. Police noted that he was cooperative in the investigation and voluntarily submitted to a blood test; he is not thought to have been drinking.
Both vehicles were towed. The BMW was totaled. The semi tractor sustained moderate damage. The semi trailer was not carrying a load. Neither vehicle had any other passengers.
Intoxication is thought to be the biggest contributing factor in the crash, according to police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, CCW class and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area
- Waukesha North Marching Band captures eighth straight state championship
- Waukesha North going for its eighth straight state band title