The city's Plan Commission is scheduled to take action on the site plan and architectural review for Carroll University's new science building at its meeting on Wednesday.
The school announced late last summer plans for the 50,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art science center on the northeast corner of College Avenue and Barstow Street.
It will replace Maxon Hall, which is scheduled to be demolished in December.
The new building is expected to cost about $22 to $24 million and will house laboratories for biology, chemistry and biochemistry, some faculty offices and gathering spaces for students.
According to the school, construction would take place between 2015 and 2016 with an anticipated opening in summer 2016.
Given the expected construction schedule, the Plan Commission, at its meeting Feb. 26, approved a request from Carroll University that will allow the school to use temporary classroom space at 1111 Sentry Drive in a manufacturing zoning area.
City Planner Jennifer Andrews said this space provides "flexibility" during construction for students and faculty.
"We've built some classroom space on existing facilities on campu,s but we need this kind of space during the next couple of years," Ron Lostetter, Carroll University's vice president for finance, said at the Plan Commission meeting.
- Unfavorable weather crimps attendance at Waukesha County Fair
- Judge: Prison for Waukesha man who led police on naked, drug-fueled pursuit
- Ex-Kmart site in Waukesha to grow with new freestanding retail building
- Plans for new Mad Rooster Cafe net final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- Power outage temporarily closes Waukesha County Courthouse, administrative buildings
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project