The city's Plan Commission is scheduled to take action on the site plan and architectural review for Carroll University's new science building at its meeting on Wednesday.
The school announced late last summer plans for the 50,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art science center on the northeast corner of College Avenue and Barstow Street.
It will replace Maxon Hall, which is scheduled to be demolished in December.
The new building is expected to cost about $22 to $24 million and will house laboratories for biology, chemistry and biochemistry, some faculty offices and gathering spaces for students.
According to the school, construction would take place between 2015 and 2016 with an anticipated opening in summer 2016.
Given the expected construction schedule, the Plan Commission, at its meeting Feb. 26, approved a request from Carroll University that will allow the school to use temporary classroom space at 1111 Sentry Drive in a manufacturing zoning area.
City Planner Jennifer Andrews said this space provides "flexibility" during construction for students and faculty.
"We've built some classroom space on existing facilities on campu,s but we need this kind of space during the next couple of years," Ron Lostetter, Carroll University's vice president for finance, said at the Plan Commission meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance