Waukesha - Thomas R. Bixby of Waukesha, a senior at Catholic Memorial High School, has advanced as a finalist in the 49th annual National Achievement Scholarship Program competition.
The program was established in 1964 to provide academic recognition for outstanding Black American high school students. Bixby was selected from more than 1,600 semifinalists competing for the opportunity to be awarded one of 800 National Achievement Scholarships.
To advance to the finalist level in the competition, the semiﬁnalist and their high school must submit a detailed scholarship application in which they provide information about the student's academic record, participation in school and community activities, demonstrated leadership abilities, and educational goals.
Semiﬁnalists must present a record of high academic performance throughout high school, be endorsed and recommended by a high school ofﬁcial, write an essay, and earn SAT scores that conﬁrm their PSAT/NMSQT performance.
"Thomas is a great example of how our students reflect and exceed the ideals at CMH, not just academically, but in how they care for others. They are mentors, volunteers, and student ambassadors who seek to help others in the gifts they have. The Catholic Memorial faculty and staff are proud of Thomas' success in this scholarship competition," said Fr. Paul Hartmann '84, CMH president.
All Achievement Scholar awardees will be selected from the finalist group on the basis of their abilities, accomplishments, and potential for success in rigorous college studies.
For more information about Catholic Memorial High School, call (262) 542-7101 or visit www.catholicmemorial.net.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Habitat for Humanity of Waukesha County opening ReStore in Waukesha
- Gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood, but causes no serious problems
- Man accused of choking woman over Facebook post
- Major gas main break disrupts Waukesha neighborhood
- Waukesha man accused of choking ex-girlfriend over Facebook post
- Carroll student director's effort deals with no small Peanuts in Waukesha play
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub still closed for 'restaffing' in downtown Waukesha
- Meijer gets final approval from Waukesha Common Council