Waukesha - The Waukesha County Board has given the go-ahead to opening some of Waukesha County's more remote undeveloped parkland to hunters.
In a unanimous vote Tuesday, and without public comment either for or against, the board revised parks rules that will lift a nearly 60-year ban on hunting.
Dale Shaver, director of parks and land use, said staff will identify the areas that qualify and attempt to post them on the county's website by fall. One logical starting point, he said, would be greenways such as along the Fox River in the Town of Vernon.
Hunters would not have access to parks with active recreation like hiking and camping, such as in Naga-Waukee or Minooka, he said.
The county is dropping its long-held ban because of a change in state law that makes land purchase grants using state Stewardship Program funds contingent upon opening the land to hunters, fishermen and other recreational interests.
The county could appeal to the Department of Natural Resources Board for exemptions on properties that it feels could be harmed by hunter traffic, such as a natural area with threatened or endangered plants.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Expenses adding up as seized chinchillas remain at Waukesha animal shelter (3)
- Waukesha County Museum's long-term plan goes into motion
- Drug deal gone wrong leads to armed robbery charges against three Waukesha men
- New high school grading system in Waukesha all about clarity
- Effects of expanded statewide voucher program sparks Waukesha School District's partnership with Montessori
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- In honor of Earth Day, volunteers will be out cleaning downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha woman allegedly 'went nuts,' cut and beat her friends, during disagreement
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Brian Dorow joins Kapenga in District 33 state Senate race