Waukesha - The Waukesha County Board has given the go-ahead to opening some of Waukesha County's more remote undeveloped parkland to hunters.
In a unanimous vote Tuesday, and without public comment either for or against, the board revised parks rules that will lift a nearly 60-year ban on hunting.
Dale Shaver, director of parks and land use, said staff will identify the areas that qualify and attempt to post them on the county's website by fall. One logical starting point, he said, would be greenways such as along the Fox River in the Town of Vernon.
Hunters would not have access to parks with active recreation like hiking and camping, such as in Naga-Waukee or Minooka, he said.
The county is dropping its long-held ban because of a change in state law that makes land purchase grants using state Stewardship Program funds contingent upon opening the land to hunters, fishermen and other recreational interests.
The county could appeal to the Department of Natural Resources Board for exemptions on properties that it feels could be harmed by hunter traffic, such as a natural area with threatened or endangered plants.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New science facility at Carroll University still on schedule for fall 2016
- Waukesha man brings faith, passion to ice-sculpting competition
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Nearby Citgo gas station closes early in response to last week's fatal shooting in Waukesha
- Town of Waukesha wins appeal in Town of Brookfield's annexation effort
- Waukesha teenager gets 10 years in prison for role in multiple burglaries
- Waukesha woman sues the city's housing authority over lost rent assistance
- Waukesha council to consider components of controversial apartment plan tonight
- Waukesha School Board race is crowded this spring
- Man accused of killing Waukesha gas station clerk, female getaway driver arrested