Criminal investigation ongoing for Waukesha County Sheriff's Department lieutenant
She is wife of Waukesha police officer who resigned before investigation into "sexting" incident
A lieutenant with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department resigned two weeks ago, but a criminal investigation by state law enforcement continues.
Jennifer Wallschlaeger, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's department, said Sarah Massa resigned from the force on March 5.
Wallschlaeger confirmed that the former lieutenant is currently being investigated by the Department of Justice's Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) for unspecified reasons.
The investigation was referred to the DCI by the Waukesha Police Department. Dennis Angle, deputy chief for the department, said in December that he had received a complaint against Sarah Massa and he chose to refer it to state authorities.
Sarah Massa is married to former City of Waukesha police officer Chris Massa, according to marriage records.
Chris Massa recently resigned from the department after being accused of "sexting" with his wife in private areas of the department while on duty, according to a news release sent out by the Waukesha Police Department. Evidence supporting the allegation was found on Sarah Massa's phone, the release claims.
Chris Massa resigned before being interviewed for the investigation and according to the news release his stated reason for resigning was to "pursue different endeavors." The police department's investigation into Chris Massa is now closed.
Sexting is the act of sending sexually suggestive texts or images through a wireless device, typically a cellphone.
Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said he was "disappointed" in Chris Massa.
Jack added that based on the information available the department believed it would have been able to substantiate the charges against Chris Massa and the investigation could have resulted in his termination.
Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel said that the DCI's report on Sarah Massa has been forwarded to his office and it is being reviewed for potential charges.
He said for ethical reasons he could not say anything further on the matter. Sarah Massa was with the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department since 2001.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area