A major expansion totaling $54 million at a manufacturing facility in Waukesha received preliminary approval at the city's Plan Commission meeting last week.
Eaton Cooper Power Systems is looking at a 52,000-square-foot addition to its building and will renovate a 60,000-square-foot unused warehouse at 2300 Badger Drive (just north of West Sunset Drive and northwest of the Fox Run Shopping Center and Genesee Road).
Community Development Specialist Jeff Fortin said the expansion will create 200 jobs.
The item was on the agenda for final approval last week, but the city's planning department wanted to work with the company more on adding landscape islands in the facility parking lot and recommended installing curb-and-gutter around the parking lot for the fabrication center addition.
"The applicant asked if we could waive the curbing and landscape," Fortin said.
Adam Artz, the civil engineer on the project, said adding these requests could limit further expansion in the future.
"We focused on landscape in other areas," Artz said. "We're not objecting to it; we're just presenting an alternative idea."
Plan Commissioner Joan Francoeur said she is looking forward to the addition.
"They turned in a green sustainable checklist, and I encourage everyone to come to an agreement on where the landscape is," Francoeur said. "So let's see where we can find a place where we can agree. Everyone is thrilled about the expansion and jobs."
Eaton, based in Dublin, Ireland, acquired Cooper Industries in November 2012.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Shoppes at Fox River coming before Waukesha Plan Commission for final approval
- Waukesha South hosting alumni show
- UW-Waukesha presents classy 'Kiss Me, Kate'
- Waukesha Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of suffocating ex-girlfriend twice during dispute
- Brewers' Hank the Dog coming to Waukesha
- Forums for District 97 state assembly race coming up
- Scorpion Trike strikes where it counts for Waukesha design firm
- Weather has slowed down field turf project at Waukesha schools
- City of Waukesha debates how to fill top-level jobs