Two of the four finalists for the City of Waukesha's fire chief search are from within the department, Human Resources Manager Donna Whalen said.
The finalists are Waukesha Assistant Fire Chief Jesse Alba, Waukesha's Battalion Chief Joseph Hoffman, City of Kenosha Fire Department's Battalion Chief Matthew Haerter and David Litton, fire chief in the Village of Bolingbrook, Ill.
Whalen said final interviews are tentatively set for next week.
The Police and Fire Commission has meetings scheduled for 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday.
The PFC narrowed its list to four March 25 after first-round interviews with the top six candidates.
Mark Morien, vice president of Voorhees Associates, the search firm working with Waukesha, said there were 48 applicants coming from 19 states when the search began.
Assistant Fire Chief Steve Howard has served as the interim fire chief after former chief Allen LaConte retired more than a year ago.
Initially, the Common Council and the PFC, a group of citizen volunteers, did not see eye-to-eye on how to fund for the search as many aldermen did not want to pay a search firm because they said there are suitable candidates from within the department.
Others, however, said that to remain transparent and to find the best candidate a search firm was needed.
Ultimately, eight months after LaConte retired, a majority of the Common Council approved the funding of a search firm.
The finalists for the Waukesha fire chief are:
Jesse Alba, Waukesha assistant fire chief
Joseph Hoffman, Waukesha battalion chief
Matthew Haerter, City of Kenosha battalion chief
David Litton, Village of Bolingbrook, Ill., fire chief
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha woman allegedly 'went nuts,' cut and beat her friends, during disagreement
- Waukesha School District expanding partnership with Montessori private school
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Gotta Have Heart fundraiser, healthy grocery shopping and more
- In honor of Earth Day, volunteers will be out cleaning downtown Waukesha
- Drug deal gone wrong leads to armed robbery charges against three Waukesha men
- New high school grading system in Waukesha all about clarity
- Waukesha Police Report: April 23, 2015
- Waukesha County Museum's long-term plan goes into motion
- Brian Dorow joins Kapenga in District 33 state Senate race
- Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel