The longtime Hardees restaurant on Barstow Street in Waukesha has been closed for about a month.
And it doesn't appear that there's any hope for it to reopen, said Berg Management General Manager Catherine Huelsman, the landlord for the facility.
"They have a lease until May, so we had no idea why they closed early," Huelsman said. "They never told us they were closing."
Huelsman said she spoke with the franchisee a couple times in the last month.
"But there are no negotiations to continue the lease or reopen with us," Huelsman said. "They haven't contacted me much. I just don't think they're interested in staying."
When asked if there was an issue over the terms of the lease, Huelsman said "not that I know about. We talked last May to negotiate terms and I guess they decided to move on."
She added her company "tried to contact them many times and got ahold of them once but they never called back."
Huelsman added that it would "be nice if someone would develop the property behind" the former Hardees.
Huelsman said Berg Management has started advertising the space. She said Berg Management could negotiate terms if the franchisee is interested in terminating the lease early.
"Why would they want to pay rent when they're not using it?" Huelsman said.
She said other interested buyers have called Berg Management to negotiate.
"But nothing is final," Huelsman said. "We're not about to announce anything until it's a done deal. It's far away from that."
The property is surrounded by old antique shops that are now closed.
Huelsman added that she's under the impression that Hardees plans to relocate to another part of the city.
A Hardees representative did not return a call for comment.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adam Neylon announces his re-election bid for the 98th Assembly District seat
- Waukesha Town Chairman John Marek helped extinguish flames of a car fire
- City of Waukesha committees give shared health clinic their approval
- Waukesha community briefs: April 24 issue
- Now You Know: Who gets a call for malfunctioning traffic signal in Waukesha?
- Waukesha news briefs: April 24 issue
- Waukesha West Academic Decathlon team returns to nationals
- New Town of Waukesha board could vote on changes
- Missing Waukesha girl found in central Wisconsin
- Police Report: April 24