Returning to school in the fall with a new backpack and the proper school supplies makes children feel confident and ready to learn. But not all children come from families that are able to afford the required school supplies or a new backpack. You can help by donating new school supplies and backpacks throughout the summer to the Backpack Coalition.
All donations are deductible as allowed by the law. Drop off item donations from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday through Aug. 19 at Waukesha County Health & Human Services, 500 Riverview Ave., Waukesha or one of the drop-off locations throughout the county which can be found at www.backpackcoalition.org
For the 14th consecutive year, this joint effort puts backpacks stocked with schools supplies in the hands of thousands of school-age children. The Backpack Coalition marshals this county-wide effort by registering children via social service agencies, accumulating donations of schools supplies, assembling the supplies into new backpacks, then finally, distributing to grade appropriate children in one day.
Bring your monetary or school supply donations to Dairy Queen, Mukwonago, fundraisers from 5 to 8 p.m. July 3 and Aug 7.
Program registration has already begun and will close on Wednesday, July 31. To qualify for the program, families must be eligible based on income guidelines and may register for a backpack during regular food pantry hours. Backpack distribution is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 24.
For more information on how you, your church, community group or workplace can hold a backpack and school supply drive, contact (262) 226-7420 or visit www.backpackcoalition.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board gives staff go-ahead to seek redevelopment proposals on old HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint
- Another wine bar could be coming to downtown Waukesha
- Darrin Malone, final suspect in Waukesha gas station homicide, arrested in Milwaukee