Returning to school in the fall with a new backpack and the proper school supplies makes children feel confident and ready to learn. But not all children come from families that are able to afford the required school supplies or a new backpack. You can help by donating new school supplies and backpacks throughout the summer to the Backpack Coalition.
All donations are deductible as allowed by the law. Drop off item donations from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday through Aug. 19 at Waukesha County Health & Human Services, 500 Riverview Ave., Waukesha or one of the drop-off locations throughout the county which can be found at www.backpackcoalition.org
For the 14th consecutive year, this joint effort puts backpacks stocked with schools supplies in the hands of thousands of school-age children. The Backpack Coalition marshals this county-wide effort by registering children via social service agencies, accumulating donations of schools supplies, assembling the supplies into new backpacks, then finally, distributing to grade appropriate children in one day.
Bring your monetary or school supply donations to Dairy Queen, Mukwonago, fundraisers from 5 to 8 p.m. July 3 and Aug 7.
Program registration has already begun and will close on Wednesday, July 31. To qualify for the program, families must be eligible based on income guidelines and may register for a backpack during regular food pantry hours. Backpack distribution is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 24.
For more information on how you, your church, community group or workplace can hold a backpack and school supply drive, contact (262) 226-7420 or visit www.backpackcoalition.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case
- Downtown Waukesha hotel again looks to fill key vacancy
- Catholic Memorial earns distinct national School of Excellence recognition
- Hebron House of Hospitality breaks ground on new low-income apartments in Waukesha
- R&R Insurance Services in Waukesha acquires Snyder Insurance
- Waukesha County detective arrested for domestic disorderly conduct
- Waukesha police reveal new details in Skateland incident
- Woman hit by vehicle in Waukesha Skateland parking lot expected to recover
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Wounded Warriors playing local softball games this weekend
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue