Homeless woman charged with Waukesha burglary
Complaint: Woman, 54, broke into brother's apartment
A 54-year-old homeless woman was charged last week with breaking into her brother's apartment in northwest Waukesha.
Nancy A. Lassack was charged May 1 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with burglary, criminal trespassing and misdemeanor retail theft.
According to the criminal complaint, a loss prevention employee for the Kohl's Department Store on Moreland Boulevard told a detective that Lassack was caught on video surveillance stealing about $90 worth of clothing on April 12.
He said she fled after he confronted her, but he was able to provide the detective a license plate number for her vehicle.
On April 30, officers were dispatched to an apartment at 1700 Elder Street regarding a burglary. Lassack's brother, James Schulz, told officers that he caught his sister trying to break into his apartment.
Lassack fled before police arrived, but her vehicle was stopped by a patrolling officer and she was arrested.
Lassack told police in the complaint that she used to live with her brother and claimed she had only returned to bathe. Schulz said he believed she was there to steal something to feed her heroin addiction.
Lassack faces 14 years in prison and $45,000 in fines if convicted.
According to court records, she is currently being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $5,000 cash bond.
She is next expected in court on Monday, May 12.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Power outages cause rush hour backups in Waukesha
- Chilly temps in store for trick-or-treating, haunted houses, football games in Waukesha
- Muskego man charged with sexually assaulting 12-year-old Waukesha girl
- Former Waukesha County Health and Human Services building has new life
- Shared employee health clinic opening next week in Waukesha
- Funeral Services: Oct. 30, 2014
- Student Notes: Oct. 30, 2014
- On the Move: Oct. 30, 2014
- Man robs victim of iPhone near Waukesha's Fox River Trail
- Waukesha woman allegedly abused, insulted her disabled mother