A neighborhood near Waukesha Memorial Hospital was shut down on Monday evening, Aug. 11, as police responded to a tactical situation in the 700 block of Lawndale Avenue.
According to the police blotter, a mother called police just before 5 p.m. after hearing her son, who is in his early 20s, cock one of the guns in his room. The caller said the man had about three to four different guns in his room, but she wasn't sure what type or exactly how much ammo he had.
The caller's daughter was in the house at the time as well.
Lt. Tom Wagner of the Waukesha Police Department said police advised hospital security of the situation. Wagner said the roadways near the home were shut down "for the safety of the public."
"We wanted to take precautions to protect the community," Wagner said.
Susen Rasmussen, director of marketing for ProHealth Care, said Waukesha Memorial Hospital was on lockdown for about 45 minutes.
"This was done strictly as a precautionary measure to protect our patients, families and employees," Rasmussen said.
The man was taken into custody but wasn't arrested, and no criminal charges will be filed. He was expected to be held for a mental health evaluation, Wagner said.
Police collected the guns for "safe keeping," Wagner said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: WCT's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- No arrests or citations issued in fatal crash in Waukesha (1)
- Woman hit, killed by car at 164 and Sunset