A neighborhood near Waukesha Memorial Hospital was shut down on Monday evening, Aug. 11, as police responded to a tactical situation in the 700 block of Lawndale Avenue.
According to the police blotter, a mother called police just before 5 p.m. after hearing her son, who is in his early 20s, cock one of the guns in his room. The caller said the man had about three to four different guns in his room, but she wasn't sure what type or exactly how much ammo he had.
The caller's daughter was in the house at the time as well.
Lt. Tom Wagner of the Waukesha Police Department said police advised hospital security of the situation. Wagner said the roadways near the home were shut down "for the safety of the public."
"We wanted to take precautions to protect the community," Wagner said.
Susen Rasmussen, director of marketing for ProHealth Care, said Waukesha Memorial Hospital was on lockdown for about 45 minutes.
"This was done strictly as a precautionary measure to protect our patients, families and employees," Rasmussen said.
The man was taken into custody but wasn't arrested, and no criminal charges will be filed. He was expected to be held for a mental health evaluation, Wagner said.
Police collected the guns for "safe keeping," Wagner said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS events, holiday events and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- Complaint: Waukesha man abused, threatened his girlfriend with a knife
- Family of Waukesha parade's grand marshal also has reason to be thankful
- Waukesha holiday tree-lighting ceremony salutes military on Friday
- Armored vehicle not shielded from Waukesha budget debate
- Sen. Paul Farrow announces bid to replace Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas
- Burlington's city administrator Kevin Lahner selected to same position in Waukesha
- Waukesha Common Council approves a 2.73 percent tax levy increase for 2015
- Doctor says Waukesha stabbing suspect in Slender Man case now competent to continue