A neighborhood near Waukesha Memorial Hospital was shut down on Monday evening, Aug. 11, as police responded to a tactical situation in the 700 block of Lawndale Avenue.
According to the police blotter, a mother called police just before 5 p.m. after hearing her son, who is in his early 20s, cock one of the guns in his room. The caller said the man had about three to four different guns in his room, but she wasn't sure what type or exactly how much ammo he had.
The caller's daughter was in the house at the time as well.
Lt. Tom Wagner of the Waukesha Police Department said police advised hospital security of the situation. Wagner said the roadways near the home were shut down "for the safety of the public."
"We wanted to take precautions to protect the community," Wagner said.
Susen Rasmussen, director of marketing for ProHealth Care, said Waukesha Memorial Hospital was on lockdown for about 45 minutes.
"This was done strictly as a precautionary measure to protect our patients, families and employees," Rasmussen said.
The man was taken into custody but wasn't arrested, and no criminal charges will be filed. He was expected to be held for a mental health evaluation, Wagner said.
Police collected the guns for "safe keeping," Wagner said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area
- Waukesha North Marching Band captures eighth straight state championship