Earlier this month, a billboard on wheels was parked on Grandview Boulevard across the street from the GE Healthcare campus. So is it legal to just park a billboard anywhere?
A billboard like this could potentially violate either parking or sign ordinances; both types of ordinances are set by individual municipalities. This billboard was parked in the City of Waukesha, and so would fall under that city's ordinances.
According to Waukesha Police Department Sgt. Jerry Habanek, the sign is a vehicle and can be parked anywhere a vehicle can legally park. There are no "No Parking" signs posted on that stretch of Grandview, so it can be assumed that the billboard didn't break any parking rules.
The city's sign ordinance does prohibit "portable signs," so it would seem that this sign would violate that ordinance. However, according to City Planner Jennifer Andrews, the citygenerally considers something a portable sign only if it's parked or placed in one location for an extended period (at least a week).
Otherwise, it's not that much different from a truck with a business name on it, which is permitted to drive around and park wherever it legally can, while at the same time advertising that business.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha NOW wedding announcements: Mulrooney-Bunker, Wiernik-Meyer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pecans for sale, dog bucket list and more
- Waukesha News Briefs: Nov. 26, 2015
- Waukesha residents on average will pay $14 less on city portion of tax bill
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Town Board puts Marek housing development plan on hold
- Downtown Waukesha glows under LED snowflakes
- Despite Meijer's request for a change, Waukesha stores must continue to sell liquor in separate area
- New rule trickles into Waukesha's water conservation efforts
- Local NFL Punt, Pass & Kick national champion will be grand marshal in Waukesha Christmas Parade