Those who were involved in the event knew they likely broke the record.
But now it's official: The Waukesha Downtown Business Association (WDBA) broke the Guinness World Record for the most carolers.
The attempt occurred after the Waukesha Christmas-tree lighting ceremony on Nov. 22, 2013. The event featured 1,822 singers, as they traveled through downtown Waukesha, making stops at 11 establishments to sing a variety of Christmas carols. They shattered the previous record of 502 carolers.
"Having that number of people standing shoulder-to-shoulder and singing in the streets of downtown was absolutely magical," said Roger Igielski, downtown business owner and former president of the WDBA. "Like the other WDBA, events such as Friday Night Live, the farmers market and Silver Bells, this event brought people out of their fenced-in backyards and created a close-knit small-town feel. We are so proud of the citizens of Waukesha for supporting our downtown business community."
Participating singers included students from Waukesha North, South, West, Catholic Memorial and Pewaukee high schools, Butler, Central and Horning middle schools and Summit View Elementary. Elizabeth Kay and the radio station FM 99.1 conducted a live remote broadcast from the event.
Igielski said the WDBA received an email stating it is now a Guinness World Record titleholder.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Steinhafels distribution center expansion on horizon
- News briefs: New degree path at UW-Waukesha
- Coolidge Avenue apartment owners sue the City of Waukesha
- Funeral Services: Nov. 27, 2014
- Waukesha Business Briefs: Health center lauded, Shorewest honored, more
- Waukesha's Kmart redevelopment could give East Sunset Drive a commercial boost
- Waukesha adjusts timeline for Great Lakes water, won't meet radium-compliance deadline
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Despite concerns, Waukesha Downtown Business Association will continue to lead farmers market
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS events, holiday events and more