Local bands are among those competing at Launchpad, an alternative music competition for high school students statewide.
Wisconsin School Music Association (WSMA) has selected 15 area garage bands to take the stage in a regional competition at Wauwatosa East High School at 4 p.m. Friday, May 10. The event, a pioneering initiative to extend the reach of music education in Wisconsin, will be open to the public. Admission is $7 for adults, $6 for students and $3 for children (ages 10 and younger).
The competing bands include:
Monochrome, rock, with members from Waterford, Waukesha North and Mukwonago high schools at 4 p.m.;
Reckless Abandon, rock, with members from Waukesha's Catholic Memorial and Mukwonago high schools at 4:50 p.m.;
White Knuckles, rock, with members from Mukwonago, Waterford and East Troy high schools at 5:15 p.m.
Blue Sway, jazz/alternative, with members from Arrowhead High School at 6:55 p.m.
Past September, rock, with members from Arrowhead High School, at 6:55 p.m.
Second Time Around, alternative rock, with members from Arrowhead and Slinger high schools, at 8:35 p.m.
Performance times and band listings are subject to change.
The bands are each slotted to play the three songs from their audition recordings. They will be evaluated by music industry professiona.
The top three bands in each of the four statewide regional competitions will advance to the state finals, joined by an additional "wildcard" band selected out of all Launchpad entries through a worldwide voting system of listeners on Broadjam.com.
The finals will take place from 2 to 8 p.m. June 8 at The Sett, within Union South. These 13 bands will automatically qualify to participate in the Summerfest Launchpad Regional Showcases in Milwaukee. The winning band will also receive the Les Paul Launchpad Award, an additional slot to perform at Summerfest, a professional recording session at Blast House Studios in Madison, and a Yamaha equipment package for their school.
Launchpad is funded by WSMA, corporate sponsorships and in-kind giving from people who believe in the benefits of music education and all that music has to offer.
For more information on Launchpad, go to www.LaunchpadWisconsin.org. Also be sure to visit www.wsmamusic.org for more about WSMA.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wings over Waukesha Air Show returns this weekend to Crites Field
- Waukesha man arrested after pointing a gun at another person outside home
- Meijer supercenter receives final approval from Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha school committee denies parent's request to ban 'The Kite Runner,' 'Chinese Handcuffs'
- Disconnected air hose stops train in its tracks in Waukesha
- Waukesha mom seeks to have two novels banned from schools
- Waukesha man accused of child porn possession
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Home field turf debut delayed for Waukesha South, Waukesha North
- Downtown Waukesha becomes a wee more Irish with Clarke 'pub'