Waukesha man charged with selling Play-Doh pills as ecstasy
Complaint: Fake pills sold for "free money"
A 20-year-old Waukesha man has been charged with several counts of drug trafficking, allegedly selling to an undercover officer fake ecstasy pills he had made out of Play-Doh.
Matthew McClain, 1315 Camden Way Unit B, was charged Monday, Feb. 3, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with two counts of nonnarcotics distribution, two counts of imitation controlled substance distribution, one count of maintaining a drug trafficking place and once count of drug paraphernalia possession.
McClain was previously convicted in September 2012 of marijuana possession and was fined about $475.
Police executed a search warrant on McClain's residence on April 8, 2012, and found floating in a toilet several baggies containing Play-Doh and flour, the complaint states. Also recovered were several pipes commonly used to smoke marijuana.
According to the criminal complaint, an undercover officer arranged to purchase 15 pills on April 18, 2012. The officer met with McClain at his residence, where he handed her a baggie containing pink, orange and blue pills. The officer noted that the pills were "very soft" and looked like Play-Doh.
McClain said in the complaint his dealer had just dropped them off and they were "fresh."
Six of the pills later tested positive for BZB, an illegal substance commonly sold as ecstasy, according to the complaint.
McClain sold 20 more pills to a confidential informant on May 2, 2012, but those pills did not test positive for an illegal substance, according to the complaint.
McClain admitted in a statement to police that he sold Play-Doh pills to the undercover officer, the complaint states. He said in the complaint that he knew it was illegal, but he did it to get "free money."
If convicted, McClain could face up to 32 years in prison and $50,000 in fines.
He is expected to make an initial appearance in court on March 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha police respond to couple fighting after an alleged argument over dance music at Salty Toad
- 'Loud political conversation' brings police to Waukesha residence
- Waukesha man accused of child sex assault for groping 12-year-old girls
- Waukesha County Fair's attendance "one of the best" in its history
- The Shoppes at Fox River coming before Waukesha Plan Commission for final approval
- Waukesha South hosting alumni show
- UW-Waukesha presents classy 'Kiss Me, Kate'
- Waukesha Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of suffocating ex-girlfriend twice during dispute
- Brewers' Hank the Dog coming to Waukesha