Waukesha mother accused of smashing son's head with bottle
Complaint: Woman claims she acted in self-defense
A 53-year-old Waukesha woman is accused of smashing a beer bottle over her son's head and threatening him with a fake gun.
The woman, who will not be named to protect the victim's identity, was charged Monday, March 17, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with substantial battery, two counts of disorderly conduct with a dangerous weapon, and one count of felony intimidation of a victim.
According to the criminal complaint, City of Waukesha Police were dispatched at about 4 p.m. Sunday, March 16, to the 1900 block of Bonnie Lane for a domestic dispute.
Police learned from dispatch that a man was injured after being struck in the head with a beer bottle, the complaint states. Dispatch advised that a gun might have been involved.
Officers made contact with the victim, who was holding a rag to his head to stop it from bleeding. He was transported by ambulance to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for treatment.
He told police in the complaint that he and his girlfriend had gone to visit his mother and an argument ensued. At one point, his mother came out of her room with a revolver, pointed it at the couple and pulled the trigger several times.
"I don't know why it's not working," she said, according to the complaint.
The mother and son fought over the gun, and he eventually gained control of it, the complaint states. As he was leaving, he said he felt a thump on his head and saw his mother holding a beer bottle.
His girlfriend told police that the woman had smashed the bottle over her son's head, the complaint said. She said when she tried to call police the woman threatened her son with a knife.
The woman claimed her son had choked her and punched her several times while they fought over the gun, which police learned shot pellets, the complaint states.
The woman, who is being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $1,000 cash bond, could face 15 years in prison and $37,000 in fines if convicted.
She is expected to appear at a preliminary hearing Thursday, April 3.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Proposed Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Wife granted restraining order against former Waukesha County detective (1)
- Vehicle fire in Waukesha apartment building's underground parking garage creates 'an explosion'
- Former town of Waukesha chairwoman, resident file ethics complaint against chairman (2)
- Waukesha robotics team stays in top gear in regional competition en route to international event
- Waukesha Police Report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Oconomowoc man accused of getting high in store bathroom enters plea