Waukesha mother accused of smashing son's head with bottle
Complaint: Woman claims she acted in self-defense
A 53-year-old Waukesha woman is accused of smashing a beer bottle over her son's head and threatening him with a fake gun.
The woman, who will not be named to protect the victim's identity, was charged Monday, March 17, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with substantial battery, two counts of disorderly conduct with a dangerous weapon, and one count of felony intimidation of a victim.
According to the criminal complaint, City of Waukesha Police were dispatched at about 4 p.m. Sunday, March 16, to the 1900 block of Bonnie Lane for a domestic dispute.
Police learned from dispatch that a man was injured after being struck in the head with a beer bottle, the complaint states. Dispatch advised that a gun might have been involved.
Officers made contact with the victim, who was holding a rag to his head to stop it from bleeding. He was transported by ambulance to Waukesha Memorial Hospital for treatment.
He told police in the complaint that he and his girlfriend had gone to visit his mother and an argument ensued. At one point, his mother came out of her room with a revolver, pointed it at the couple and pulled the trigger several times.
"I don't know why it's not working," she said, according to the complaint.
The mother and son fought over the gun, and he eventually gained control of it, the complaint states. As he was leaving, he said he felt a thump on his head and saw his mother holding a beer bottle.
His girlfriend told police that the woman had smashed the bottle over her son's head, the complaint said. She said when she tried to call police the woman threatened her son with a knife.
The woman claimed her son had choked her and punched her several times while they fought over the gun, which police learned shot pellets, the complaint states.
The woman, who is being held at Waukesha County Jail on a $1,000 cash bond, could face 15 years in prison and $37,000 in fines if convicted.
She is expected to appear at a preliminary hearing Thursday, April 3.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha County detective Peter Korns charged for domestic-related incident
- 'Suspicious' Halloween decoration turns out to be mannequin in a tree
- Waukesha man accused of repeatedly manufacturing, selling cocaine
- Waukesha man accused of molesting, groping his granddaughter for years
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Apple harvest, lawn care and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Waukesha wants judge to reverse ruling on former fire chief's job
- Waukesha asks public for help to fund new downtown holiday lights
- Second stabbing suspect to be mentally evaluated in Waukesha Slender Man case
- The Clarke Hotel in downtown Waukesha again looks to fill vacancy with general manager stepping down