Xperience Fitness has signed a letter of intent to move into the previously-vacant Kmart on East Sunset Drive.
The letter is for about 40,000 of the 120,000-square-foot building. Xperience Fitness, as a result, will move out of its smaller location on West Sunset Drive.
Community Development Director Steve Crandell said the Milwaukee-based Endeavour Corp. is buying the building and will invest $13 million into the site for the redevelopment and to create two new tenants, which could house retail stores and restaurants.
The building will be in a tax incremental financing district (TIF) and includes a $2.6 million pay-as-you-go TIF incentive to help finance the project.
Crandell said the TIF district requires that Endeavour spend money up front.
"We're not borrowing city tax dollars for this project," Crandell said. "The developer fronts all of the money, so there's no risk to the city."
A public hearing before the Plan Commission on the TIF district was scheduled for last night.
The Kmart has been vacant for the last two years.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha domestic violence investigation turns out to be consensual "rough sex'"
- Waukesha NOW wins four awards in Wisconsin Newspaper Awards contest
- Park approved for River Hills neighborhood on city's southwest side
- Teen charged with selling handgun to minor
- Waukesha DNR employee charged with stealing cash, trail passes
- Waukesha mayoral candidates at odds over city issues
- Town of Waukesha candidate forum still scheduled despite two not attending
- Police Report: March 6
- Expansion at Eaton Cooper Power will create 200 jobs
- Audit questions Waukesha County Museum's future