Some ideas are so good, it makes you wonder why nobody thought of them before.
Hats off to Sue Baker and the Les Paul Foundation for proposing the renaming Central Middle School in honor of the great inventor and musician who hailed from Waukesha before he found fame and fortune. And further kudos to Waukesha School District and the school's administration for being open to this discussion.
Back in the day, perhaps when he was known as Rhubarb Red, Paul attended Waukesha Junior High School and Waukesha High School, which is what Central Middle School was known as when he attended there. What could be more appropriate than naming his alma mater after him.
Who would have imagined that Lester Polfus, as Paul was known before his show business career took off, would later become a national recording artist, the inventor of the electric guitar and an innovator in multitrack recording? It could be an inspiration to every student attending Les Paul Middle School that with a little luck, and lots of drive and perspiration, you to can go from a humble upbringing to reach your dreams.
We renamed Highway 164 in Waukesha in his honor, have redecorated the streets with guitar sculptures and have adorned the downtown shop exteriors with billboard tributes to his memory. Why not complete this embrace to our local legend by naming his school in his honor. In our opinion, Les is more.
Sue Baker's idea is nothing short than music to our ears.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha NOW wedding announcements: Mulrooney-Bunker, Wiernik-Meyer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pecans for sale, dog bucket list and more
- Waukesha News Briefs: Nov. 26, 2015
- Waukesha residents on average will pay $14 less on city portion of tax bill
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Town Board puts Marek housing development plan on hold
- Downtown Waukesha glows under LED snowflakes
- Despite Meijer's request for a change, Waukesha stores must continue to sell liquor in separate area (4)
- New rule trickles into Waukesha's water conservation efforts
- Local NFL Punt, Pass & Kick national champion will be grand marshal in Waukesha Christmas Parade