For the 15th consecutive year, the BackPack Coalition Inc. will provide backpacks and school supplies to students with financial constraints in Waukesha County to help them participate and succeed in school.
A team of volunteers from the community and coalition agencies join together to marshal this countywide effort by registering children via social service agencies, accumulating donations of school supplies, assembling the supplies into new backpacks, and handing out grade-appropriate backpacks to children.
Program registration has already begun.
To qualify for the program, families must be eligible based on income guidelines. The opportunity to receive a backpack is available by filling out a form at the following sites through July 31: Salvation Army in Waukesha County and local food pantries (Waukesha, Pewaukee, Mukwonago, Muskego, and Oconomowoc).
Efforts to collect supplies have begun this week with the opening of the warehouse. Businesses are promoting supply drives internally or for their clients, and will be continually added to the Backpack Coalition website.
Those who would like to donate items may deliver them on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon through Aug. 11 and 2:30 to 4 p.m. Fridays starting on July 18 at Health and Human Services, 514 Riverview Ave, Waukesha. For donors unable to drop off items at those times can contact the Backpack Coalition to schedule a more convenient time.
The largest coordination of supplies is the Fill the Bus event that will take place 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Walmart stores in Waukesha, Pewaukee, Delafield, Mukwonago and Muskego. The Backpack Coalition counts on the donations from Fill the Bus as their final push for materials needed to fill the backpacks before distribution day on Aug. 23.
For more information on how you, your church, community group or workplace can hold a backpack and school supply drive, to schedule a drop off time or to volunteer, call (262) 226-7420 or visit the website at www.BackPackCoalition.org.
Those interested can also follow BackPack Coalition on Twitter (@BackpackCoaltion) or "like" BackPack Coalition on Facebook to stay up-to-date.
How to Help
What: BackPack Coalition school supply drive
When/Where: 10 a.m. to noon through Tuesdays and Thursdays through Aug. 11 and 2:30 to 4 p.m. Fridays starting July 18 at Health and Human Services, 514 Riverview Ave., Waukesha or 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Walmart in Pewaukee, Delafield, Waukesha, Mukwonago and Muskego.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zombie walk, trick-or-treating this weekend in downtown Waukesha
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance