A soon-to-be released joint study between Waukesha County and the City of Waukesha could determine if moving City Hall is best.
And if it indicates a relocation from 201 Delafield St. within the Waukesha County Courthouse, 515, W. Moreland Blvd., is needed, Mayor Jeff Scrima is all for it.
"The proximity would allow our respective departments to communicate better and create new partnerships," Scrima said. "Hallways could connect from City Hall with the county governing center, which would lead to long-term collaboration and better communication and efficiencies."
Scrima said the seven-acre location, along the Fox River — between Waukesha State Bank and Northwest Barstow Street and across from the city's transit center on St. Paul Avenue — where the convention center was proposed, was previously eyed as a possible new destination for City Hall.
But Scrima said after that location was reviewed by City Administrator Ed Henschel, the idea shifted to collaborate with Waukesha County last year.
Waukesha County and the City of Waukesha hired Milwaukee-based Zimmerman Architectural Studios Inc. to conduct a future space needs building study that would help the county determine if it should renovate or build a new courthouse.
If a Waukesha City Hall addition is part of the county's future plans, Scrima said it provides benefits to city residents.
"Ultimately, it would save our taxpayers and the long-term benefit of building a new City Hall right next to the county (buildings) far outweighs doing that in another location," Scrima said.
City Hall was built in 1966.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plan tosses in new ideas in garbage collection in Waukesha
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race
- Community briefs: July 31, 2014 issue
- Controversial book will remain in Waukesha School District's libraries
- One will emerge from crowded GOP field for District 97 assembly seat
- Waukesha Police Report: July 31, 2014 issue
- Waukesha man accused of possessing a large amount of child pornography
- Waukesha police respond to couple fighting after an alleged argument over dance music at Salty Toad
- 'Loud political conversation' brings police to Waukesha residence
- Waukesha man accused of child sex assault for groping 12-year-old girls