Waukesha man suspected in shooting death kills self in Indiana
Callaway was found riding a bicycle in Bloomington
The search for the man charged with the alleged shooting death of Shanel "Nani" Negron on April 22 came to a violent end last week when Eddie Callaway took his own life in Indiana.
Waukesha police said Callaway, 26, shot himself in the head after he was located on a bicycle by an Indiana state police detective around 10:30 p.m. April 30 in Bloomington, Ind., where he had family connections.
Other officers responded to search for the suspect before a Bloomington police officer located Callaway on a trail.
Callaway was ordered off his bicycle and was being held on the ground at gunpoint, until additional back-up officers arrived to the scene.
After a back-up officer arrived, Callaway reached toward his waistband and retrieved a weapon despite verbal commands to keep his hands outstretched away from his body, Bloomington police said.
Callaway pulled a gun out of his waistband and shot himself in the head, Bloomington police said. Callaway was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.
Callaway's death is being investigated by the Bloomington Police Department. The department will conduct tests on the gun to see if it matches up to the one that was utilized during the homicide in Waukesha.
Angle said the Waukesha Police Department is confident Callaway is the lone suspect in Negron's death. But he said the department is still in the process of completing the investigation, including forensics and ballistics testing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Proposed Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel
- 'Suspicious' fire damages Waukesha home overnight
- Attorney requests Slender Man stabbing suspect Morgan Geyser be moved to treatment facility
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Wife granted restraining order against former Waukesha County detective (1)
- Vehicle fire in Waukesha apartment building's underground parking garage creates 'an explosion'
- Former town of Waukesha chairwoman, resident file ethics complaint against chairman (2)
- Waukesha robotics team stays in top gear in regional competition en route to international event
- Waukesha Police Report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Oconomowoc man accused of getting high in store bathroom enters plea