Waukesha man suspected in shooting death kills self in Indiana
Callaway was found riding a bicycle in Bloomington
The search for the man charged with the alleged shooting death of Shanel "Nani" Negron on April 22 came to a violent end last week when Eddie Callaway took his own life in Indiana.
Waukesha police said Callaway, 26, shot himself in the head after he was located on a bicycle by an Indiana state police detective around 10:30 p.m. April 30 in Bloomington, Ind., where he had family connections.
Other officers responded to search for the suspect before a Bloomington police officer located Callaway on a trail.
Callaway was ordered off his bicycle and was being held on the ground at gunpoint, until additional back-up officers arrived to the scene.
After a back-up officer arrived, Callaway reached toward his waistband and retrieved a weapon despite verbal commands to keep his hands outstretched away from his body, Bloomington police said.
Callaway pulled a gun out of his waistband and shot himself in the head, Bloomington police said. Callaway was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.
Callaway's death is being investigated by the Bloomington Police Department. The department will conduct tests on the gun to see if it matches up to the one that was utilized during the homicide in Waukesha.
Angle said the Waukesha Police Department is confident Callaway is the lone suspect in Negron's death. But he said the department is still in the process of completing the investigation, including forensics and ballistics testing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Editorial: Farewell to Olson's Ace Hardware, a downtown Waukesha landmark
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Art crawl, Bluesfest, Night Out
- Waukesha Police Report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Waukesha's garbage and recycling rules change
- Ace will no longer be the place in downtown Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha pastor charged with first-degree sexual assault of a child (1)
- Surveys add to Waukesha alderman's web of public interaction
- Molina Healthcare giving out groceries, health kits at La Casa de Esperanza in Waukesha
- Waukesha man accused of putting 17-year-old girlfriend in a choke hold
- Waukesha man facing charges in three separate criminal cases