Sussex boy will be grand marshal in Waukesha Christmas Parade
He underwent blood transfusion as a baby
An estimated 20,000 people will fill the streets in downtown Waukesha for the Christmas Parade Sunday and the first person they will see is Ryan Heiman, a 5-year-old from Sussex.
The Blood Center of Wisconsin, the title sponsor of the parade, has named Heiman the grand marshal for the parade, which begins at 4 p.m. Sunday.
The parade, in its 50th year, begins at the intersection of White Rock Avenue and East Main Street, before traveling primarily along East and West Main Street and ends at Wisconsin and Maple avenues.
According to the Blood Center, shortly after Ryan was born, he needed a blood transfusion.
The Blood Center said that Ryan is now healthy and just celebrated his fifth birthday in October - all because donors made sure blood was available when he needed it.
"Words truly cannotexpress how deeply grateful we are that someone had donated the blood that saved our son's life," said Jason Heiman, Ryan's dad adding, "Ryan is thrilled to be part of the parade, and it's our hope that seeing his smiling face on that day will be an inspiration for people to give so other lives can be saved."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Alderman Roger Patton resigns from common council due to poor health
- OSHA cites Waukesha Iron & Metal with 11 violations tied to fatality
- HAWS' expansion in Waukesha will help address space needs
- Waukesha News Briefs: Sept. 3, 2015
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Master gardening, Alzheimer's walk and more
- Correction: Waukesha County Sheriff's Deputy Chad Kane-Terhorst photo
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Lifeway Foods now making kefir at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- New faces will lead way at many Waukesha schools
- Waukesha County board rejects senior apartment plan for former Moor Mud Baths Resort site