Sussex boy will be grand marshal in Waukesha Christmas Parade
He underwent blood transfusion as a baby
An estimated 20,000 people will fill the streets in downtown Waukesha for the Christmas Parade Sunday and the first person they will see is Ryan Heiman, a 5-year-old from Sussex.
The Blood Center of Wisconsin, the title sponsor of the parade, has named Heiman the grand marshal for the parade, which begins at 4 p.m. Sunday.
The parade, in its 50th year, begins at the intersection of White Rock Avenue and East Main Street, before traveling primarily along East and West Main Street and ends at Wisconsin and Maple avenues.
According to the Blood Center, shortly after Ryan was born, he needed a blood transfusion.
The Blood Center said that Ryan is now healthy and just celebrated his fifth birthday in October - all because donors made sure blood was available when he needed it.
"Words truly cannotexpress how deeply grateful we are that someone had donated the blood that saved our son's life," said Jason Heiman, Ryan's dad adding, "Ryan is thrilled to be part of the parade, and it's our hope that seeing his smiling face on that day will be an inspiration for people to give so other lives can be saved."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Journal Sentinel editorial: Maybe city and town of Brookfields should become one, rather than the town becoming a village
- Bedroom fire causes significant damage to Waukesha home
- The Spoon restaurant near downtown Waukesha closed 'until further notice'
- Fire damages home at Wexford Court in Waukesha
- Waukesha man sentenced to prison for his role in 2014 shooting on Kensington Drive
- Taco John's donates 10 percent of sales to family of Saeed Sharwani
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Grocery tips, eco-friendly workshops and more
- Mom bails out son, drives him to ex-girlfriend's house for confrontation (1)
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 29, 2015 issue
- Mia Famiglia bringing Sicilian cooking to downtown Waukesha