City of Waukesha - A 17-year-old Waukesha boy was charged Jan. 17 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with being party to a vehicle theft after allegedly going on a "joy ride" Dec. 24 with a 16-year-old boy.
The two teenagers allegedly stole a 1996 Geo belonging to Jose J. Lopez Cruz at about 2 a.m. Dec. 24, according to the criminal complaint.
The defendant discovered the car was unlocked with the keys inside, said the defendant's friend, and asked him whether he wanted to go for a ride, the complaint said.
The defendant contradicted the other teenager in his statement, saying that they came across the vehicle stuck in a ditch in the snow and decided to take it for a joy ride, according to the complaint.
They allegedly drove to Milwaukee, where they picked up friends before driving to a mall in Brookfield, according to the complaint. They lost control of the vehicle at one point, sliding into a ditch on West Sunset Drive near St. Paul Avenue, according to the complaint.
An officer identified Cruz's vehicle outside Kwik Trip, 1908 W. St. Paul Ave., and the two Waukesha boys were reported to be inside the car.
If convicted, the defendant could face up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines. He is expected to be in court Jan. 28.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Erik Helgestad appointed to the Waukesha Common Council
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Robotics class, concealed carry, job fair and more
- Waukesha Reads program continues: Oct. 8-14 events
- Vietnamese restaurant Pho King opens, pizza eatery Bobanna's closes in Waukesha (1)
- Food drive grows bigger in Waukesha's District 12
- Xperience Fitness and Dollar Tree open in old Waukesha Kmart
- West Allis man charged with video taping women's restroom at UW-Waukesha
- Housing development hopes to stay at home in town of Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha officials try to plug holes tied to GE move
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue