City of Waukesha - A 17-year-old Waukesha boy was charged Jan. 17 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with being party to a vehicle theft after allegedly going on a "joy ride" Dec. 24 with a 16-year-old boy.
The two teenagers allegedly stole a 1996 Geo belonging to Jose J. Lopez Cruz at about 2 a.m. Dec. 24, according to the criminal complaint.
The defendant discovered the car was unlocked with the keys inside, said the defendant's friend, and asked him whether he wanted to go for a ride, the complaint said.
The defendant contradicted the other teenager in his statement, saying that they came across the vehicle stuck in a ditch in the snow and decided to take it for a joy ride, according to the complaint.
They allegedly drove to Milwaukee, where they picked up friends before driving to a mall in Brookfield, according to the complaint. They lost control of the vehicle at one point, sliding into a ditch on West Sunset Drive near St. Paul Avenue, according to the complaint.
An officer identified Cruz's vehicle outside Kwik Trip, 1908 W. St. Paul Ave., and the two Waukesha boys were reported to be inside the car.
If convicted, the defendant could face up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines. He is expected to be in court Jan. 28.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Blood donor reward, autism fundraiser and more
- Waukesha man faces hit-and-run charge tied to February bar incident
- Waukesha Police Report: April 2, 2015 issue
- Waukesha developer says condos were in his plan, but he wanted to preserve the Blair House
- Town, school board races highlight spring election in Waukesha
- Waukesha County Museum will temporarily suspend its operations as part of new plan
- Perspective: Considering downtown Waukesha's long-term future
- Waukesha robotics team wins regional championship
- HAWS asking for public support to help seized chinchillas in Waukesha
- City of Waukesha committee recommends sober server ordinance for bars