Merrill Hills Country Club is an iconic place in the Town of Waukesha. It's been here since 1929, serving members through its many amenities, including catering and banquets, golf, tennis and pool, wedding and corporate events.
Its members will now be golfing and playing tennis at The Legend at Merrill Hills. This came after the sale of the club closed Tuesday.
The members voted on the sale a couple weeks ago, and The Legend owner Jack Gaudion said they overwhelmingly approved the sale.
The Town Board also approved the conditional-use permit and the transfer of the liquor and cigarette and tobacco licenses at its meeting June 13. This was necessary due to the change in ownership.
While Gaudion and Merrill Hills management have not said much about the sale, a source familiar with the situation said the club had been experiencing financial difficulties.
This now gives Gaudion four clubs across the area. He opened The Legend at Brandybrook in 2003 in Wales, purchased The Legend at Bergamont in 2007 in Oregon, Wis., and bought Bristlecone Pines Golf Club in 2009 in Hartland, renaming that course The Legend at Bristlecone. Members have access to all clubs.
All of the clubs are private, and Gaudion said The Legend at Merrill Hills will remain a private club as well.
Some town residents at the meeting expressed concerns that the course was going public due to an agenda item that said "public course."
Gaudion also addressed other concerns from neighbors during the public hearing on the conditional-use permit regarding the site, ranging from noise to environmental.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Attorneys in Slender Man stabbing case make final plea in effort to reclassify offense
- UW-Waukesha's 'Wings' opens Friday
- New downtown apartment complex part of plan to save Waukesha County Museum
- Waukesha police investigating death of man found on sidewalk
- Waukesha police arrest Associated Bank armed robbery suspects
- Waukesha County Board gives staff go-ahead to seek redevelopment proposals on old HHS building
- Waukesha man allegedly involved in shooting incident gets reduced bail
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Home improvement show, pancake fest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Two masked men rob Associated Bank in Waukesha at gunpoint