United Way in Waukesha County, along with the Waukesha County Corporate Volunteer Council and local Waukesha businesses, created and donated more than 700 stockings filled with age-appropriate treats for children, adults and seniors.
The program, St. Nick's Helpers, is in its second year; it provides gifts to individuals who might not have otherwise received a gift this season.
Individuals and companies donated items, money and time to fill and deliver the stockings to less fortunate families in Waukesha County. Items in the stockings for children included hats, mittens or gloves, candy, bubbles, small toys, crayons and coloring books. Adult and senior stockings included hats, mittens or gloves, small personal hygiene items, candles, note pads, puzzle books and small trinkets.
Area Girl Scout troops got together to sew and stuff more than 100 stockings.
Some of the stockings were stuffed at the Salvation Army in Waukesha, 445 Madison St.
"It was fun to host a portion of the stocking stuffing in our facility," said Maj. Carol Lemirand, corps officer. "It truly seemed like a St. Nick workshop right here in Waukesha. There were so many caring people who have vision for the happiness of others who often have so little joy.
"We heard from some of the recipients how fun it was to experience an occasion missed as a child. One person said they never shared Christmas because their father was absent and their mom worked several jobs to keep them sheltered and fed. This blessing as an adult had a great impact on their view of our community."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha North Marching Band captures eighth straight state championship
- Waukesha North going for its eighth straight state band title
- Town of Waukesha chairman John Marek seeking District 15 supervisor seat
- Man charged with drunken driving in crash that injured his family
- Waukesha won't provide fire services to New Berlin
- Spread Your Wings: Oct. 16, 2014
- Student Notes: Oct. 16, 2014
- On the Move: Oct. 16, 2014
- Public Forum: Historic Waukesha building needs to be saved
- Deadline to submit comments on West Waukesha Bypass is next week