Literacy Council looking
for volunteer tutors
Literacy Council of Greater Waukesha (LCGW) will be organizing its annual 90 Tutors in 90 Days campaign.
LCGW volunteers are needed to work with our students in improving their reading, writing, math and English speaking skills.
LCGW will be hosting the following prospective tutor informational meetings:
· Monday, Sept. 8: 5:30-6:30 p.m. — Starbucks, 1390 Capitol Drive, Pewaukee.
· Thursday, Sept. 11: 1-2 p.m. — Café De Arts, 136 E. St Paul Ave., Waukesha.
· Monday, Sept. 15, 5:30-6:30 p.m. — Starbucks, 21481 East Highway 18, Waukesha.
For more questions on becoming a volunteer tutor, contact the Literacy Council office at (262) 547-7323 or visit the website at www.waukeshaliteracy.org
Walk MS Waukesha
set for Sept. 14
Walk MS Waukesha will be held on Sunday, Sept. 14, at Frame Park, 1240 Frame Park Drive, Waukesha.
More than 500 participants are expected to come out and help raise the goal of $53,000, which will support direct services for the more than 11,000 children, women and men in Wisconsin diagnosed with MS and their families, as well as MS research to find a cure for this chronic disease of the central nervous system.
People can participate in Walk MS individually or as a team. Volunteers are also needed.
Walk MS Waukesha benefits the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Check-in for the walk begins at 9 a.m. with the walk at 10 a.m.
Participation and volunteer registration is available by visiting walkMSwisconsin.org, calling (262) 369-4400 or emailing info.wisMS@nmss.org.
Classic Cars meet
returns to Gastaus
The free Wednesday Night Classic Cars returns to the parking lot at Weissgerber's Gasthaus, at Grandview and Silvernail, Waukesha.
Anyone is invited to participate. Starting at 5 p.m., the rumble of hotrods from the '50s and '60s roll into position, next to elegant, classy collector cars once driven by the rich and famous.
Spotless engines, polished chrome, new paint and beautifully detailed interiors bring together collectors and the curious public to walk through memory lane and share stories and experiences of the Golden Years of automobiles.
The setting is festive, lively and fun, with live musical groups performing every Wednesday from the festival stage on the grounds.
Food and beverages are offered with a wide variety of sandwiches, burgers, brats, beer and soda.
Autumn Harvest Bowl
to benefit food pantry
Christ the Servant Lutheran Church of Waukesha will hold its first Autumn Harvest Bowl, an intergenerational disc golf tournament, at Miniwaukan Park in Mukwonago from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 5.
The event is open to the public and players of all ages.
The entry fee for the event is a donation to the Food Pantry of Waukesha County. Prizes will be awarded based on disc golf scores; however, the big awards will go to those donating the most food.
Note: the event will not conflict with a Packer game, and participants do not need to have their own disc golf equipment.
For information, see the church's website at www.christtheservant.org.
Literacy Council offers
tutoring for children
Literacy Council of Greater Waukesha (LCGW) provides tutors for children and adults in reading, writing, math and English as a second language.
LCGW also provides tutoring in the summer. To set up tutoring for your child, contact LCGW at (262) 547-7323 or visit the agency Website at www.waukeshaliteracy.org.
- Police searching for man mistakenly released from Waukesha County Jail
- Waukesha panel delays decision on proposed development at Gasthaus site
- Waukesha News Briefs: May 5, 2016 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Choral concert, art crawl and more
- Waukesha police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- WWII veteran Alvin Kind receives honorary high school diploma
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theater's 'Annie Get Your Gun' hits the mark
- Just kids from Waukesha County: Joe Schobert, Derek Watt make history in 2016 NFL Draft (2)
- Service area reduced for Waukesha's water diversion application (1)
- Summit View celebrates Penny Kroening's Teacher of the Year honors