A 22-year-old Waukesha County prisoner was accused of assaulting another inmate on June 11.
Siddique A Qureshi was charged last week in Waukesha County Circuit Court with battery. Qureshi, who has one prior conviction for burglary, will be tried as a repeat offender.
If convicted, he faces up to six additional years in prison and $10,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, Qureshi attacked a 30-year-old inmate after the two exchanged words near the common area of the jail.
Qureshi allegedly charged into the other inmate's cell and slammed his head against the jail floor and walls a number of times, and at one point attempted to bite him.
Police indicated they instructed the two prisoners to separate on multiple occasions and eventually deployed pepper spray in an attempt to neutralize them.
Qureshi continued to strike the other prisoner until officers subdued him with a Taser, the complaint states.
The man who Qureshi attacked had previously been convicted of assaulting a police officer and driving with a revoked license, according to court records.
Qureshi made his initial appearance in court on Thursday, June 12.
- Officials approve Carroll University's plan to buy, use historic Waukesha home
- Long-term construction project on Moreland Boulevard in Waukesha begins
- Police searching for man mistakenly released from Waukesha County Jail
- Waukesha panel delays decision on proposed development at Gasthaus site (1)
- Waukesha News Briefs: May 5, 2016 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Choral concert, art crawl and more
- Waukesha police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- WWII veteran Alvin Kind receives honorary high school diploma
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theater's 'Annie Get Your Gun' hits the mark
- Just kids from Waukesha County: Joe Schobert, Derek Watt make history in 2016 NFL Draft (2)