City of Waukesha — A 44-year-old Waukesha man allegedly choked his ex-girlfriend after she wrote what he perceived to be an offensive post on Facebook.
Walter Beach, 417 N. Washington Ave., was charged on Friday, Aug. 22, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation, misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct — all repeat and domestic abuse offenses.
Beach, if convicted, faces up to nearly seven years in prison and $21,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, police responded on Wednesday, Aug. 20, to a South Street apartment complex regarding a call about a domestic incident.
Beach's former girlfriend told an officer in the complaint that she and Beach had recently ended their seven-year relationship — because he had physically abused her in the past — but had remained friends.
She said that Beach regularly spent time with her, gave her money and took her shopping, but denied any desire on her part to rekindle their relationship, according to the complaint.
She claimed a Facebook post supposedly struck a raw nerve in Beach and that he confronted her about it.
Beach reportedly became more upset when he learned his ex-girlfriend had told his current girlfriend about his behavior. He warned her on Monday, Aug. 18, not to do so again and about the post, then showed up at her house later that day and demanded to know where the victim had been, the complaint says.
She said in the complaint that Beach barged into her apartment, wrapped his hands around her throat and squeezed her neck until she couldn't breathe.
"I'm going to kill you," Beach said, according to the complaint.
The victim also told police about a couple of earlier instances of Beach's abusive behavior toward her.
She said he had previously choked her and put her in a headlock, and on another occasion had punched her, hit her in the mouth and broken some of her ribs, according to the complaint.
Court records indicate that Beach is currently being held at the county jail on a $2,500 cash bond.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, Aug. 29.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha pools closing for the season
- Waukesha woman accused of striking children, husband after night of drinking
- It was a twister in Waukesha, after all, National Weather Service says
- Waukesha's La Casa de Esperanza opens its new charter school
- Trial date set in Slender Man case in Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS collection drive, Dialogue Initiative and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Catholic schools make a welcoming Choice in revised voucher program
- Homeless Waukesha man charged with battering woman (1)
- Waukesha again seeks public's assistance in funding downtown holiday lights