A 42-year-old Milwaukee man allegedly almost choked his girlfriend into unconsciousness after she told him she wanted to visit her parents.
Romel Scott was charged on Wednesday, Aug. 27, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation and suffocation, false imprisonment, misdemeanor battery, intimidation of a victim and two counts of disorderly conduct.
Scott faces up to almost 14 years in prison and $42,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, police responded on Monday, Aug. 25, to the victim's apartment complex near Summit road in Waukesha.
The victim told officers in the complaint that Scott had shoved her onto her bed and used his forearm to squeeze her neck until she nearly blacked out after she told him she wanted to go to her parents' house.
Scott then reportedly took her phone so his girlfriend couldn't call the police and chased her to her car when she tried to flee the apartment.
A neighbor heard the commotion, and saw Scott hit and push his girlfriend, and called police, according to the complaint.
Court records indicate that Scott is being held at the county jail on a $5,000 cash bond.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 4.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Book signing, BluesFest and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 6, 2015 issue
- Waukesha judge set to make ruling on Slender Man stabbing transfer
- Waukesha police stay within patrol budget this time
- Waukesha's fire department will likely exceed its overtime budget again
- Wind-driven fire destroys Waukesha duplex
- Waukesha County Museum plan awaits historic step
- Art crawl taking place Saturday in downtown Waukesha
- Muskego man receives 25-year sentence for sexually assaulting Waukesha girl
- Waukesha woman gets prison for killing toddler (1)