A 42-year-old Milwaukee man allegedly almost choked his girlfriend into unconsciousness after she told him she wanted to visit her parents.
Romel Scott was charged on Wednesday, Aug. 27, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation and suffocation, false imprisonment, misdemeanor battery, intimidation of a victim and two counts of disorderly conduct.
Scott faces up to almost 14 years in prison and $42,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, police responded on Monday, Aug. 25, to the victim's apartment complex near Summit road in Waukesha.
The victim told officers in the complaint that Scott had shoved her onto her bed and used his forearm to squeeze her neck until she nearly blacked out after she told him she wanted to go to her parents' house.
Scott then reportedly took her phone so his girlfriend couldn't call the police and chased her to her car when she tried to flee the apartment.
A neighbor heard the commotion, and saw Scott hit and push his girlfriend, and called police, according to the complaint.
Court records indicate that Scott is being held at the county jail on a $5,000 cash bond.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 4.
- Long-term construction project on Moreland Boulevard in Waukesha begins
- Police searching for man mistakenly released from Waukesha County Jail
- Waukesha panel delays decision on proposed development at Gasthaus site
- Waukesha News Briefs: May 5, 2016 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Choral concert, art crawl and more
- Waukesha police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- WWII veteran Alvin Kind receives honorary high school diploma
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theater's 'Annie Get Your Gun' hits the mark
- Just kids from Waukesha County: Joe Schobert, Derek Watt make history in 2016 NFL Draft (2)
- Service area reduced for Waukesha's water diversion application (1)