A 42-year-old Milwaukee man allegedly almost choked his girlfriend into unconsciousness after she told him she wanted to visit her parents.
Romel Scott was charged on Wednesday, Aug. 27, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with strangulation and suffocation, false imprisonment, misdemeanor battery, intimidation of a victim and two counts of disorderly conduct.
Scott faces up to almost 14 years in prison and $42,000 in fines if convicted.
According to the criminal complaint, police responded on Monday, Aug. 25, to the victim's apartment complex near Summit road in Waukesha.
The victim told officers in the complaint that Scott had shoved her onto her bed and used his forearm to squeeze her neck until she nearly blacked out after she told him she wanted to go to her parents' house.
Scott then reportedly took her phone so his girlfriend couldn't call the police and chased her to her car when she tried to flee the apartment.
A neighbor heard the commotion, and saw Scott hit and push his girlfriend, and called police, according to the complaint.
Court records indicate that Scott is being held at the county jail on a $5,000 cash bond.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 4.
- Waukesha News Briefs: HAWS video, court eFiling and more
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Plants sale, 'Gypsy' auditions and more
- Waukesha police report: June 2, 2016 issue
- Farmer's Daughter Collection in Waukesha makes cultural connection
- Allô! Chocolat owners seek sweet deal for downtown Waukesha business
- Waukesha School District lauds change in food service provider
- Retzer Nature Center locked down May 25 due to attempted suicide
- Reconstruction of Tenny Avenue in Waukesha prompts short-term closure of nearby intersection
- Funeral services: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ex-Waukesha man accused of reckless homicide in heroin overdose death