Waukesha man charged with attempted homicide
Man, 24, charged in Kensington Drive shooting
A 24-year-old Waukesha man was charged last week with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in connection with a shooting at an apartment complex on Wednesday, Feb. 5.
The Wisconsin State Patrol arrested Alonso Corral, 1470 Cleveland Ave., on Thursday, Feb. 6, shortly after an arrest warrant was issued. He is being held in Waukesha County Jail on a $500,000 cash bail.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha Police were dispatched at about 4 p.m. Feb. 5, to an apartment complex at 2101 Kensington Drive after receiving reports of a shooting.
Officers on the scene recovered one spent shell casing but were unable to find a witness.
Damien Jimenez had already sped off to the Police Department, where he told officers that Corral had fired two rounds at his vehicle outside the apartment, the complaint states.
Jimenez told police that his friend, John Brautigam, was the intended target, and his two children, ages 5 and 8, were in the vehicle at the time, the complaint said.
According to the complaint, Brautigam had asked Jimenez for a ride to a friend's house; they were waiting outside when Brautigan saw Corral approaching. Brautigam said Corral pulled a pistol out of his pocket and fired two shots before they were able to drive away, the complaint states.
The criminal complaint does not provide a motive for the shooting, but Jimenez told police that Brautigam had warned him about a potential confrontation.
If convicted, Corral could face up to 60 years in prison. He is expected to appear in court Thursday, Feb. 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha pools closing for the season
- Waukesha woman accused of striking children, husband after night of drinking
- It was a twister in Waukesha, after all, National Weather Service says
- Waukesha's La Casa de Esperanza opens its new charter school
- Trial date set in Slender Man case in Waukesha (1)
- Waukesha Community Briefs: HAWS collection drive, Dialogue Initiative and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Catholic schools make a welcoming Choice in revised voucher program
- Homeless Waukesha man charged with battering woman (1)
- Waukesha again seeks public's assistance in funding downtown holiday lights