Waukesha man charged with attempted homicide
Man, 24, charged in Kensington Drive shooting
A 24-year-old Waukesha man was charged last week with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in connection with a shooting at an apartment complex on Wednesday, Feb. 5.
The Wisconsin State Patrol arrested Alonso Corral, 1470 Cleveland Ave., on Thursday, Feb. 6, shortly after an arrest warrant was issued. He is being held in Waukesha County Jail on a $500,000 cash bail.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha Police were dispatched at about 4 p.m. Feb. 5, to an apartment complex at 2101 Kensington Drive after receiving reports of a shooting.
Officers on the scene recovered one spent shell casing but were unable to find a witness.
Damien Jimenez had already sped off to the Police Department, where he told officers that Corral had fired two rounds at his vehicle outside the apartment, the complaint states.
Jimenez told police that his friend, John Brautigam, was the intended target, and his two children, ages 5 and 8, were in the vehicle at the time, the complaint said.
According to the complaint, Brautigam had asked Jimenez for a ride to a friend's house; they were waiting outside when Brautigan saw Corral approaching. Brautigam said Corral pulled a pistol out of his pocket and fired two shots before they were able to drive away, the complaint states.
The criminal complaint does not provide a motive for the shooting, but Jimenez told police that Brautigam had warned him about a potential confrontation.
If convicted, Corral could face up to 60 years in prison. He is expected to appear in court Thursday, Feb. 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha woman allegedly 'went nuts,' cut and beat her friends, during disagreement
- Waukesha School District expanding partnership with Montessori private school
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Gotta Have Heart fundraiser, healthy grocery shopping and more
- In honor of Earth Day, volunteers will be out cleaning downtown Waukesha
- Drug deal gone wrong leads to armed robbery charges against three Waukesha men
- New high school grading system in Waukesha all about clarity
- Waukesha Police Report: April 23, 2015
- Waukesha County Museum's long-term plan goes into motion
- Brian Dorow joins Kapenga in District 33 state Senate race
- Waukesha County Museum redevelopment plan coming before city panel