Students at Waukesha West High School sure did their part in this season of giving.
Their contributions will mean hundreds of children will have presents to open Christmas morning.
In a contest sponsored by Milwaukee radio station FM 106.1, West collected more than 2,000 toys and donated $1,400 in four days for the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign.
The contest also included Burlington, Greendale, South Milwaukee and Kewaskum high schools. Between the five area schools, just under 10,000 toys were collected.
Burlington collected the most - about one-third of the total came from its students.
As a result of their efforts, reigning "American Idol" winner Scotty McCreery performed at the high school Nov. 14.
- Compiled by Christopher Kuhagen
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha School District puts cellphones on hold during school day
- Five vie for three seats in Waukesha School Board race
- Waukesha police: School iPad part of investigation into indecent photo
- Incumbents retain seats in close Waukesha School Board race
- Waukesha School Board candidates discuss Common Core, teacher compensation
- Waukesha School Board race is crowded this spring
- More iPads, time changes highlight start of school year in Waukesha
- 'Looking for Alaska' will remain in Waukesha School District's libraries
- Joseph Como elected new Waukesha School Board president
- Timing is everything in Waukesha's new school schedules
- School Briefs 04/03/14
- O'Bryan chosen as new Waukesha School Board member
- Cold weather forces Waukesha School District to make up three days
- SC Waukesha negotiating partnership to give district $600,000 for turf project
- No challengers once again for Waukesha School Board
- Salary increases approved for Waukesha School Board, superintendent
- Waukesha School District sells Oakdale Drive parcel to city
- Waukesha School Board discussing increasing members' salaries
- School Briefs 10/24/13
- Students to learn about the dangers of texting while driving