A 30-year-old Waukesha woman stands accused of repeatedly kicking, punching and swearing at her 8-year-old son on multiple occasions.
Waukesha Now will not name the woman to protect the identity of her child. She was charged Tuesday, July 8, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with one felony count of child abuse and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
If convicted, she could face more than six years in prison and $11,000 in fines.
According to the criminal complaint, Waukesha police responded to a call about domestic abuse on Sunday, July 6. The woman and her son were shouting at one another on a second-floor balcony at an apartment complex.
The woman told police her son suffers from Asperger's syndrome, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and an anxiety disorder so he needs to be restrained sometimes, but when the woman's father arrived on the scene he offered a different story.
According to the complaint, the woman's father said that his daughter had hit, kicked and screamed profanity at her son on several occasions in the past. Officers spoke to the child, who admitted his mother "kicked him all over," the complaint said.
The woman allegedly told police that she's an alcoholic who needed to "get back on track," and who was also experiencing ongoing problems in her personal life.
Her father said in the complaint that he and his wife had been taking care of the boy for some time, and that during one 12-week stretch when the boy was receiving treatment for some of his cognitive disabilities the woman only visited her son once.
Her initial court appearance is scheduled for Monday, July 21.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Slender Man stabbing suspect's attorney contesting doctor's ruling that Anissa Weier is competent
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area