Late last year, Fire Station No. 2 was moved from its old location at 1701 Stardust Drive to a newly built replacement station at 1714 Pearl St. About a month ago, the old station building was torn down, and in recent weeks, crews have been working to clean up and landscape the now-empty lot at the corner of Wolf Road and Stardust Drive, just off East Moreland Boulevard.
The city plans to eventually use the empty lot for storm water management purposes, to mitigate flooding and improve storm water quality in that area, according to City Engineer Paul Day. Some areas in that general vicinity experience flooding during heavy rain events, Day said.
Exactly how the city will use the lot for storm water management is still to be determined, Day said, but it will most likely involve the installation of some kind of basin. No design details or timeline for the project have yet been established.
Earlier this week, crews from the city's Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department were out planting a berm with trees and shrubs to help screen the lot and hopefully try to block car lights from shining through to neighboring properties, said Operations Manager Pete Traczek.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Woman drives car into Fox River in Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Dec. 3, 2015 issue
- Waukesha NOW wedding announcements: Mulrooney-Bunker, Wiernik-Meyer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pecans for sale, dog bucket list and more
- Waukesha News Briefs: Nov. 26, 2015
- Waukesha residents on average will pay $14 less on city portion of tax bill
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Town Board puts Marek housing development plan on hold
- Downtown Waukesha glows under LED snowflakes
- Despite Meijer's request for a change, Waukesha stores must continue to sell liquor in separate area (4)