Late last year, Fire Station No. 2 was moved from its old location at 1701 Stardust Drive to a newly built replacement station at 1714 Pearl St. About a month ago, the old station building was torn down, and in recent weeks, crews have been working to clean up and landscape the now-empty lot at the corner of Wolf Road and Stardust Drive, just off East Moreland Boulevard.
The city plans to eventually use the empty lot for storm water management purposes, to mitigate flooding and improve storm water quality in that area, according to City Engineer Paul Day. Some areas in that general vicinity experience flooding during heavy rain events, Day said.
Exactly how the city will use the lot for storm water management is still to be determined, Day said, but it will most likely involve the installation of some kind of basin. No design details or timeline for the project have yet been established.
Earlier this week, crews from the city's Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department were out planting a berm with trees and shrubs to help screen the lot and hopefully try to block car lights from shining through to neighboring properties, said Operations Manager Pete Traczek.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- David Smart steps down as general manager of The Clarke Hotel in downtown Waukesha
- Catholic Memorial earns distinct national School of Excellence recognition
- Hebron House of Hospitality breaks ground on new low-income apartments in Waukesha
- R&R Insurance Services in Waukesha acquires Snyder Insurance
- Waukesha County detective arrested for domestic disorderly conduct
- Waukesha police reveal new details in Skateland incident
- Woman hit by vehicle in Waukesha Skateland parking lot expected to recover
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Wounded Warriors playing local softball games this weekend
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Waukesha organization celebrates literacy locally