You see a pesky traffic signal flashing red — a sure sign that it's not working correctly. You want to report it, but who do you call?
The easiest way for Waukesha residents to report a malfunctioning traffic signal is to call the City of Waukesha Department of Public Works at (262) 524-3600, said Mike Grulke, the traffic engineer for the city.
A traffic signal in Waukesha can be maintained by either the city of Waukesha, Waukesha County or the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Many of the traffic signals within Waukesha are owned and maintained by the city, Grulke said.
However, there are a few signals at intersections, mainly on the larger roadways surrounding Waukesha, that are maintained by WisDOT or Waukesha County. Typically, traffic signals on Moreland Boulevard from Manhattan Drive to Interstate 94 and on Les Paul Parkway are owned and maintained by WisDOT, Grulke said.
It can get confusing, which is why the city of Waukesha encourages residents to call the public works number to report a traffic signal malfunction, he said.
"Regardless of what traffic signal it is, either our forces will look at it or we can direct them to the right person at another agency or can even let the maintaining agency know the about the problem for them," Grulke said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Robotics class, concealed carry, job fair and more
- Waukesha Reads program continues: Oct. 8-14 events
- Vietnamese restaurant Pho King opens, pizza eatery Bobanna's closes in Waukesha (1)
- Food drive grows bigger in Waukesha's District 12
- Xperience Fitness and Dollar Tree open in old Waukesha Kmart
- West Allis man charged with video taping women's restroom at UW-Waukesha
- Housing development hopes to stay at home in town of Waukesha
- Waukesha officials try to plug holes tied to GE move
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue
- Cafe De Arts plans to relocate within Waukesha in coming months