Curious about the people whose names sit atop a pair of Waukesha middle schools? Here's a little information on the men behind the names.
Horning Middle School was named after Harry Horning, who was president of the Waukesha Motor Co. He was extremely active in the community, said Mark Wegner, principal of Horning Middle School, 2000 Wolf Road.
Horning was the first president of the Internal Combustion Engine Institute when it formed in 1933. He was also a leader in the automotive industry — his knowledge of fuels and engines led to the development of the Cooperative Fuel Research Engine.
Butler Middle School was named after Morgan R. Butler, who was a member of the Waukesha Board of Education from 1937 to 1963. He was even president of the board from 1946 to 1963, said Jason Sadowski, principal of Butler Middle School, 310 North Hine Ave.
Butler didn't just lead the school board, though. At one point, he led the city. He was the mayor of Waukesha from 1926 to 1934. In 1962, he was recognized for his involvement in the community with the Community Service Citation, which was made on behalf of the residents of Waukesha for his "outstanding contribution to the progress of the community."
Got a question about something you want to know about Waukesha? You can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- OSHA cites Waukesha Iron & Metal with 11 violations tied to fatality
- HAWS' expansion will help address space needs
- Waukesha News Briefs: Sept. 3, 2015
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Master gardening, Alzheimer's walk and more
- Correction: Waukesha County Sheriff's Deputy Chad Kane-Terhorst photo
- Waukesha Police Report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Lifeway Foods now making kefir at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- New faces will lead way at many Waukesha schools
- Waukesha County board rejects senior apartment plan for former Moor Mud Baths Resort site
- Final two Waukesha elementary schools set to receive iPads