Curious about the people whose names sit atop a pair of Waukesha middle schools? Here's a little information on the men behind the names.
Horning Middle School was named after Harry Horning, who was president of the Waukesha Motor Co. He was extremely active in the community, said Mark Wegner, principal of Horning Middle School, 2000 Wolf Road.
Horning was the first president of the Internal Combustion Engine Institute when it formed in 1933. He was also a leader in the automotive industry — his knowledge of fuels and engines led to the development of the Cooperative Fuel Research Engine.
Butler Middle School was named after Morgan R. Butler, who was a member of the Waukesha Board of Education from 1937 to 1963. He was even president of the board from 1946 to 1963, said Jason Sadowski, principal of Butler Middle School, 310 North Hine Ave.
Butler didn't just lead the school board, though. At one point, he led the city. He was the mayor of Waukesha from 1926 to 1934. In 1962, he was recognized for his involvement in the community with the Community Service Citation, which was made on behalf of the residents of Waukesha for his "outstanding contribution to the progress of the community."
Got a question about something you want to know about Waukesha? You can email email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha man receives prison sentence for battering pregnant girlfriend
- Wapp Jr. guilty of selling drugs from southwest side Waukesha home last year
- Waukesha man who pointed rifle at police is charged with six felonies
- Waukesha Community Briefs: pet events, Chinese New Year and more
- Mad Rooster Cafe considers former Hardees site in downtown Waukesha
- Video: Catholic Memorial High School's Innovation Wing opens to rave reviews
- Review: Waukesha Civic Theatre's 'Almost, Maine' gets it more than almost right
- Waukesha gas station murder suspect Darrin Malone heads to trial
- Pizza maker and caterer prep new spaces in downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue