Last month, at the height of the busiest season for car-deer accidents, roadsides throughout Waukesha County were dotted with deer carcasses. While it's not uncommon to see lots of dead deer on the sides of the roads in November, this year, it seemed like it was taking an unusually long time for thosecarcasses to be removed.
There's a reason. The contractor hired by the DNR to remove deer killed by vehicles in Waukesha County wasn't fulfilling the terms of his contract, according to Tim Lizotte, a supervisor in the DNR's southeast region.
The DNR tried to work with the contractor, but ultimately terminated his contract at the end of November, Lizotte said. A new contractor was hired and started work around Dec. 8.
Local law-enforcement officers, sheriff's deputies,public works employees and other government workers typically report the locations of dead deer to deer-removal contractors, but citizens are also welcome to make their own reports. Drivers who spot dead deer in Waukesha County can report the location by calling the nonemergency number for their local police department or the county sheriff's department nonemergency dispatch number at (262) 446-5070.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha woman accused of stabbing boyfriend: 'you mess with me, you get cut'
- Several animals die in Waukesha house fire
- Multiple railroad crossings in Waukesha to receive repairs
- Editorial: It's time for the water fights to end
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Harp performers, Tribute concert series and more
- Waukesha Police Report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Parade, fireworks highlight Fourth of July festivities in Waukesha
- Top 10 things to do in Waukesha this summer
- Jury trials scheduled for Waukesha gas station homicide suspects
- Committee moves proposed downtown Waukesha apartment forward