Last month, at the height of the busiest season for car-deer accidents, roadsides throughout Waukesha County were dotted with deer carcasses. While it's not uncommon to see lots of dead deer on the sides of the roads in November, this year, it seemed like it was taking an unusually long time for thosecarcasses to be removed.
There's a reason. The contractor hired by the DNR to remove deer killed by vehicles in Waukesha County wasn't fulfilling the terms of his contract, according to Tim Lizotte, a supervisor in the DNR's southeast region.
The DNR tried to work with the contractor, but ultimately terminated his contract at the end of November, Lizotte said. A new contractor was hired and started work around Dec. 8.
Local law-enforcement officers, sheriff's deputies,public works employees and other government workers typically report the locations of dead deer to deer-removal contractors, but citizens are also welcome to make their own reports. Drivers who spot dead deer in Waukesha County can report the location by calling the nonemergency number for their local police department or the county sheriff's department nonemergency dispatch number at (262) 446-5070.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kicker's Pub & Grub owner flees from man with a gun after closing
- Cuddles shop in downtown Waukesha closing its doors
- Waukesha County Executive Dan Vrakas holding virtual Town Hall meeting on Twitter
- Storms do damage once again in Waukesha
- Driving lesson in Waukesha's Prairie Home Cemetery results in police call
- Ideal weather helps boost Waukesha County Fair attendance
- Waukesha stabbing victim receives military Purple Heart
- Shoppes at Fox River gets final approval from Waukesha Plan Commission
- City of Waukesha will have new system for garbage, recycling pickup in 2015
- Two more Waukesha-area forums focus on District 97 state race