Last month, at the height of the busiest season for car-deer accidents, roadsides throughout Waukesha County were dotted with deer carcasses. While it's not uncommon to see lots of dead deer on the sides of the roads in November, this year, it seemed like it was taking an unusually long time for thosecarcasses to be removed.
There's a reason. The contractor hired by the DNR to remove deer killed by vehicles in Waukesha County wasn't fulfilling the terms of his contract, according to Tim Lizotte, a supervisor in the DNR's southeast region.
The DNR tried to work with the contractor, but ultimately terminated his contract at the end of November, Lizotte said. A new contractor was hired and started work around Dec. 8.
Local law-enforcement officers, sheriff's deputies,public works employees and other government workers typically report the locations of dead deer to deer-removal contractors, but citizens are also welcome to make their own reports. Drivers who spot dead deer in Waukesha County can report the location by calling the nonemergency number for their local police department or the county sheriff's department nonemergency dispatch number at (262) 446-5070.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Woman drives car into Fox River in Waukesha
- Waukesha Police Report: Dec. 3, 2015 issue
- Waukesha NOW wedding announcements: Mulrooney-Bunker, Wiernik-Meyer
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pecans for sale, dog bucket list and more
- Waukesha News Briefs: Nov. 26, 2015
- Waukesha residents on average will pay $14 less on city portion of tax bill
- Waukesha Police Report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Town Board puts Marek housing development plan on hold
- Downtown Waukesha glows under LED snowflakes
- Despite Meijer's request for a change, Waukesha stores must continue to sell liquor in separate area (4)