On a regular basis, the postcard shown below is mailed out to Waukesha residents, informing them that "Local Veterans Need Your Discards! (Especially Clothing and Knick-Knacks)."
The postcard is sent out by a nonprofit Milwaukee-based organization called Dryhootch of America, Inc., that offers a variety of services for veterans, including mentoring and support groups for post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction, and other veterans issues.
According to founder and president Bob Curry, some of the discards collected by Dryhootch, like clothing, are distributed directly to veterans or given to homeless shelters that serve veterans. What can't be used by vets is sold at USA Family Thrift in Greenfield, with profits coming back to Dryhootch to fund its programs. Curry said that knick-knacks are singled out in the mailer because they sell well at the store.
Dryhootch, which wascreated in 2008, operates three locations in Milwaukee (including a coffeehouse on the East Side) and one in Madison. The organization is currently in the planning stages of opening a location in Waukesha.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Young Waukesha South photographer's work rises to award-level results
- Man robs Tri City National Bank at gunpoint in Waukesha
- HAWS will begin adopting out hundreds of seized chinchillas in Waukesha
- Medical experts say Anissa Weier should be transferred to juvenile court system
- Psychologist: Anissa Weier was 'socially isolated' and 'desperate for a friendship' before stabbing
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 28
- Man suffers non-fatal gunshot wounds outside Waukesha home
- Two Waukesha high school students score rare perfect scores on ACT exam
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Blood drive, walk to fight human trafficking, and more
- Waukesha Police Report: May 28, 2015 issue