On a regular basis, the postcard shown below is mailed out to Waukesha residents, informing them that "Local Veterans Need Your Discards! (Especially Clothing and Knick-Knacks)."
The postcard is sent out by a nonprofit Milwaukee-based organization called Dryhootch of America, Inc., that offers a variety of services for veterans, including mentoring and support groups for post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction, and other veterans issues.
According to founder and president Bob Curry, some of the discards collected by Dryhootch, like clothing, are distributed directly to veterans or given to homeless shelters that serve veterans. What can't be used by vets is sold at USA Family Thrift in Greenfield, with profits coming back to Dryhootch to fund its programs. Curry said that knick-knacks are singled out in the mailer because they sell well at the store.
Dryhootch, which wascreated in 2008, operates three locations in Milwaukee (including a coffeehouse on the East Side) and one in Madison. The organization is currently in the planning stages of opening a location in Waukesha.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Competency evaluation results for Anissa Weier, one of Slender Man stabbing suspects, will be revealed in court
- Waukesha man charged with threatening and sexually assaulting his wife
- Waukesha man accused of raping his disabled ex-girlfriend
- West Virginia man convicted of stalking terminally-ill teenage Waukesha girl
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Flu shots, concealed carry classes and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Want to help the Waukesha Police Department? Here's your chance
- Lifeway Foods moving along with renovations at former Golden Guernsey plant in Waukesha
- Controversial two-town incorporation remains uncertain and undecided in Waukesha-Brookfield area
- Waukesha North Marching Band captures eighth straight state championship