On a regular basis, the postcard shown below is mailed out to Waukesha residents, informing them that "Local Veterans Need Your Discards! (Especially Clothing and Knick-Knacks)."
The postcard is sent out by a nonprofit Milwaukee-based organization called Dryhootch of America, Inc., that offers a variety of services for veterans, including mentoring and support groups for post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction, and other veterans issues.
According to founder and president Bob Curry, some of the discards collected by Dryhootch, like clothing, are distributed directly to veterans or given to homeless shelters that serve veterans. What can't be used by vets is sold at USA Family Thrift in Greenfield, with profits coming back to Dryhootch to fund its programs. Curry said that knick-knacks are singled out in the mailer because they sell well at the store.
Dryhootch, which wascreated in 2008, operates three locations in Milwaukee (including a coffeehouse on the East Side) and one in Madison. The organization is currently in the planning stages of opening a location in Waukesha.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Blood donor reward, autism fundraiser and more
- Waukesha man faces hit-and-run charge tied to February bar incident
- Waukesha Police Report: April 2, 2015 issue
- Waukesha developer says condos were in his plan, but he wanted to preserve the Blair House
- Town, school board races highlight spring election in Waukesha
- Waukesha County Museum will temporarily suspend its operations as part of new plan
- Perspective: Considering downtown Waukesha's long-term future
- Waukesha robotics team wins regional championship
- HAWS asking for public support to help seized chinchillas in Waukesha
- City of Waukesha committee recommends sober server ordinance for bars