When a building is torn down, most of the time it's done to make room for something else. Sometimes, though, the structure has simply outlived its useful life.
That's the case with the house at 1130 Northview Road, which was torn down last week. "It finally got to the point where the maintenance was outweighing the benefit of it," said Karen Braun, the Waukesha County engineer who oversaw the demolition project.
The house, which was owned by the county, had most recently been leased to Matt Talbot Recovery Services, an organization that offers drug and alcohol rehab programs. The house was used as a group home for recovering addicts.
Over the last few weeks, the company hired to tear down the house, Sonag Concrete, has been salvaging any materials that could be re-used, including the radiators. The county paid Sonag $23,802 for the demolition work.
The county has no plans to rebuild or do anything else with the property at this time, Braun said. Once the demolition is complete, the hole where the basement used to be will be filled and seeded, and the property will become an empty lot.
What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Spoon will serve soups, pies at Hartwell Avenue location in Waukesha
- Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub closed in downtown Waukesha
- Gunshots hit vehicles in parking lot on North University Drive in Waukesha
- Rollout of new garbage, recycling carts underway in city of Waukesha
- Waukesha woman sues the city's housing authority over lost rent assistance
- Fox Head Residences developer asks to postpone action on Waukesha apartments
- Nearby Citgo gas station closes early in response to last week's fatal shooting in Waukesha
- Arrests don't put an end of homicide's impact in Waukesha and for Brookfield family
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Health care reform, peace nominees and more
- Waukesha Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015, issue