At this time of year, many home gardeners are overwhelmed by the massive amounts of tomatoes, zucchini and other vegetables coming out of their gardens. Local food pantries and food drives are always asking for non-perishable food items, but will they accept garden produce as well?
Yes, they will. The Food Pantry of Waukesha County, which is about to celebrate its 35th year of service to the community, welcomes produce grown in local gardens, says Executive Director Karen Tredwell. The food pantry, which serves more than 6,000 people a month, relies on donations from individuals as well as larger-scale growers and grocery stores.
Here's a list of local agencies that will happily put your excess garden produce to good use, along with the best times to drop off your bounty.
·The Food Pantry of Waukesha County, 1301 Sentry Drive. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday and 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturdays
·Hebron House, 812 N. East Ave. 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday through Saturday
·Salvation Army, 445 Madison St. 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
·Hope Center, 502 N. East Ave. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday
This is my last NYK column; thanks for sending in so many great questions over the past few years. E-mail any new questions to email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha North Marching Band captures eighth straight state championship
- Waukesha North going for its eighth straight state band title
- Town of Waukesha chairman John Marek seeking District 15 supervisor seat
- Man charged with drunken driving in crash that injured his family
- Waukesha won't provide fire services to New Berlin
- Spread Your Wings: Oct. 16, 2014
- Student Notes: Oct. 16, 2014
- On the Move: Oct. 16, 2014
- Public Forum: Historic Waukesha building needs to be saved
- Deadline to submit comments on West Waukesha Bypass is next week